Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  
Willkommen auf forum.metallicafan.de – die deutsche METALLICA-Community!
Das Forum war Teil der Community von METALLICAfan.de, Deutschlands meistbesuchtester METALLICA-Fansite.
METALLICAfan.de hat nach über 11 Jahren Ende 2010 die Seiten geschlossen. Dieses Forum bleibt weiterhin erhalten. Wir freuen uns auf viele spannende Diskussionen rund um METALLICA, Metal, u.v.m.!
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Board hat 33.076 Mitglieder
164.779 Beiträge & 6.223 Themen
Beiträge der letzten Tage
Foren Suche
Suchoptionen
  • www.authenticsnewyorkgiants.comDatum17.11.2018 08:46

TORONTO — Jose Bautista will return to the scene of some of his biggest moments in baseball Tuesday night when the New York Mets visit the Toronto Blue Jays.

The Mets and Blue Jays will play a two-game interleague series at the Rogers Centre Authentic Brian Allen Jersey , where Bautista starred for the better part of nine years.

The Mets will start right-hander Zack Wheeler (2-6, 4.47 ERA) against Blue Jays right-hander Marco Estrada (4-7, 4.53) in the series opener.

While the Blue Jays (39-45) were losing 3-2 in 10 innings on Monday afternoon to the Detroit Tigers at the Rogers Centre, the Mets (33-48) had the day off. It gave Bautista a chance to renew acquaintances in Toronto.

“I have some stuff scheduled, to meet up with people who were part of my life when I was there and visit some of the usual spots,” Bautista told reporters in Miami, where the Mets played last weekend. “It’s definitely a place that I hold dear and close to my heart. It’s going to be a fun time.”

Bautista twice led the American League in home runs with the Blue Jays, hitting 54 in 2010 and 43 in 2011. His most famous home run came in 2015 at the Rogers Centre, a three-run blast with an iconic bat flip that won the American League Division Series in the fifth and deciding game against the Texas Rangers.

He played 1,235 regular-season games for the Blue Jays from 2008 to 2017, hitting 288 homers (second only to Carlos Delgado’s 336) with 776 RBIs (third on the team’s career list).

Bautista also had an influence on his teammates.

“He was a huge help in my development,” Blue Jays center fielder Kevin Pillar said. “There was a time in my first full year when I went from left to center and I was making some plays and I kind of earned his respect and he metaphorically gave me the keys (to the outfield) and told me to go get anything I could. And my voice became the voice in the outfield. That was pretty special to me.”

When the Blue Jays did not pick up the option on his contract for this season, he became a free agent. He did not have a team until the Atlanta Braves signed him on April 18. After a minor-league stint, he struggled with the Braves for 12 games and was released May 20. The Mets signed him May 22.

In 36 games with the Mets, the 37-year-old is batting .250/.418/476 with three homers and 13 RBIs. In his past 14 games Authentic John Kelly Jersey , he is hitting .300/.462/.650 with three homers and 10 RBIs.

“I’m not surprised by what he’s doing,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said. “He probably just needed some at-bats to get going and now we’re seeing the byproduct of him being ready. I’ve always known he’s a really good hitter. He keeps himself in really good shape. He’s probably in the best shape of anybody on our team and is (the oldest player on the team). Great approach, great patience, still has bat speed.”

“Not having a spring training, wanting to swing the bat and some other things might’ve played into me not (reaching base) as much in Atlanta,” Bautista said.

Bautista always has been a versatile player. He played mostly right field with the Blue Jays but also manned third base and occasionally first base. He has played 12 games in left field for the Mets, 10 in right field, two at third base and one at second base.

This will be the second series between the teams. They split two games on May 15-16 at Citi Field.

Wheeler was the losing pitcher on May 16, a 12-1 Blue Jays victory, in his only career outing against Toronto. He allowed six runs, seven hits and three walks and struck out seven in four innings.

Estrada is 0-2 with a 7.27 ERA in seven career games (two starts) against the Mets. He struggled earlier in the season but is 2-1 with a 2.35 ERA in his past five starts.

Tyler Anderson got in a groove from the first inning and kept on going.

Anderson tossed a career-high eight scoreless innings, Pat Valaika, Nolan Arenado and Chris Iannetta homered, and the Colorado Rockies beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 3-1 on Friday night.

Anderson (5-3) struck out eight and walked one on 96 pitches. The left-hander retired his first 11 batters before giving up a two-out single to Justin Turner in the fourth. Matt Kemp singled leading off the fifth and Yasiel Puig narrowly beat out the throw on a two-out bunt in the same inning.

”It’s been a while since everything has really been on,” Anderson said. ”My last couple of starts were pretty close Kentrell Brice Jersey , I felt like my command was there I just made a couple mistakes. Tonight I didn’t make those mistakes. It was a total mix of all my pitches.”

Anderson retired five straight batters before allowing a single to Cody Bellinger in the seventh. Anderson improved to 4-0 on the road with a 3.48 ERA while holding hitters to a .216 average. The Rockies have won seven of his last nine starts away from home.

”He kept us off-balance,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. ”He has a three, four-pitch mix that we couldn’t get any swings off of.”

Iannetta homered leading off the ninth, extending Colorado’s lead to 3-0.

Arenado hit his team-high 20th homer in the eighth and Valaika homered over the center-field fence for Colorado’s first run in the fifth.

Valaika homered for the first time since last Sept. 24 at San Diego. It was just his second homer ever at Dodger Stadium. His first long ball in the majors came on Sept. 24, 2016, in the same stadium.

”It felt good to put the barrel on the ball in a real game, a big league game,” Valaika said. ”It felt good to get the lead, too.”

The Rockies turned double plays behind Anderson in the fifth and eighth innings.

”Andy pitched great. He was spotting up everything, it was pretty easy to play defense,” Valaika said. ”I was thinking it was the third inning and I hadn’t really fielded anything yet.”

Wade Davis worked the ninth to earn his 23rd save in 27 chances.

Rich Hill (1-3) pitched solidly in his third start since coming off the disabled list because of a finger blister. Only one of his six hits was for extra bases, a double by Trevor Story in the sixth.

”The ball came out of my hand the way I wanted it to,” Hill said. ”Everything was really came together.”

Hill struck out a season-high 10 and didn’t walk anyone while allowing one run in 6 2/3 innings. His 110 pitches were a season high and the most he’s thrown since May 13, 2016, at Tampa Bay.

But the Dodgers’ bullpen struggled for the second straight game. Scott Alexander gave up Arenado’s homer and Yimi Garcia allowed Iannetta’s shot.

A day earlier Authentic Pernell McPhee Jersey , Walker Buehler was rocked for five runs and five hits in one-plus innings of an 11-5 loss to the Cubs.

Turner’s two-out shot in the ninth gave the Dodgers a franchise-record and major league-leading 54 homers in June with one day left.

”This team has set the record for the most home runs in the month for them, so clearly they’re trying to put the ball in the air,” Anderson said. ”Tonight when they did it they were just underneath a lot of things.”

The Rockies began the month getting swept by the Dodgers in a three-game series, with Los Angeles scoring 33 runs in those games. Colorado improved to 5-2 against Los Angeles this season.

PITCHER CAN HIT

Anderson collected a career high-tying two hits with singles in the third and seventh. Hill had an 0-2 count against him in the third and appeared annoyed when Anderson made contact. ”He’s a good hitting pitcher,” Hill said.

SLUMP BUSTED

Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp singled in the fifth, snapping an 0-for-15 skid. In his last 23 games against the Rockies since Sept. 20, 2015, Kemp has hit .389.

UP NEXT

RHP German Marquez (5-8, 5.53 ERA) starts for Colorado, which has won four of his seven road starts this season. He has a 3.07 ERA away from home compared to 7.93 in Denver. RHP Kenta Maeda (5-4, 3.44) goes for the Dodgers. In eight career games, including six starts, Maeda is 5-2 with a 2.11 ERA to go with 48 strikeouts and nine walks.

• Chester Rogers JerseyDatum06.11.2018 07:38
    Thema von hong wei im Forum PC/Mac Allgemein

HOUSTON – Tampa Bay Rays center fielder Kevin Kiermaier made his impact felt defensively in his return from the disabled list on Tuesday. There will be changes in playing time moving forward as well.

With Kiermaier James Neal Jersey , who missed 57 games with a torn ligament in his right thumb, back in the fold, Mallex Smith shifted to left field while Johnny Field claimed a reserve role. While Smith appears a likely bet to maintain regular at-bats, Field could see a decline in his. Field could potentially share time in right field with veteran Carlos Gomez, whose defense played a part in the Rays’ 2-1 victory Tuesday that ended Houston’s 12-game winning streak and set the stage for the rubber match of this three-game series on Wednesday night.

“Mallex is going to play a lot,” Rays manager Kevin Cash said. “He’s done a good job; I think he’s deserving to play. He’s probably back in the spot that benefits us the most in left or right when he goes over there at certain times. I like that he can rove to all three of (the outfield slots) and back up K.K. in center. But now it’s like the infield thing: I’m just going to have to do a good job of making sure that everybody gets some consistency and also rest at the same time.

“I don’t think it’s going to hurt Carlos Gomez to get an extra day here and there. Same with Johnny. You see with really good teams that have a full roster the ability to rest their so-called regulars. So, we’ll take that approach.”

The Rays designated outfielder Rob Refsnyder for assignment to make room for Kiermaier.

Right-hander Nathan Eovaldi (1-2, 4.63 ERA) will start the series finale for the Rays (34-39). He is 1-0 with a 2.52 ERA over four career starts against Houston but hasn’t faced them since April 7, 2016, while pitching for the Yankees.

Eovaldi has faced the Astros once in Houston, earning a 3-2 win on June 26, 2015, after allowing two runs on five hits and two walks with six strikeouts over six innings.

Wednesday will mark his fifth start since returning from a second Tommy John surgery.

The Astros (49-26) will counter with right-hander Charlie Morton (8-1, 2.94 ERA), who is 1-2 with a 4.50 ERA over three career starts against the Rays. Morton went 1-1 with a 5.73 ERA in two starts against the Rays last season Jonathan Marchessault Jersey , allowing seven runs on 10 hits and five walks over 11 innings.

He picked up the win in his last start, the 200th of his career, limiting the Royals to three runs on four hits and four walks with nine strikeouts over six innings in a 7-3 victory on June 15.

Major League Baseball released the second update of the American League All-Star voting results on Tuesday, and Astros second baseman Jose Altuve leads all players in fan balloting with 1,572,101 votes. Red Sox right fielder Mookie Betts is just behind Altuve at 1,568,417.

“I think it’s remarkable, and I think it’s well deserved for someone who represents our game in exceptional fashion,” said Astros manager A.J. Hinch, who will manage the AL All-Stars in Washington, D.C., next month. “I think the voters are getting it right. He’s every bit what’s right about baseball. I love the guy and I’m happy that he’s getting the recognition that he should.”

For a team with some of the biggest stars in baseball, the New York Yankees are getting many of their most critical contributions from a remarkable group of unflappable youngsters.

Gleyber Torres hit another three-run homer, fellow rookie Domingo German struck out a career-high 10 for his first major league win and the Yankees edged the Tampa Bay Rays 4-3 in the opener of a four-game series Thursday night.

”All the young guys we have Luca Sbisa Jersey , they’ve been excelling. So, it’s fun to watch,” reliever Dellin Betances said. ”I think the fans are excited to kind of see this wave of young guys just helping this team out and you’re going to be seeing them for a lot of years.”

Aaron Hicks also homered off Blake Snell (8-4) as New York beat the blossoming left-hander for the second time this season and ended his four-game winning streak.

”Gave them a lot of opportunity to do damage,” Snell said. ”Everything was inconsistent.”

German (1-4) allowed Matt Duffy’s home run on the first pitch of the game but quickly recovered to strike out the next three batters.

”Unfazed,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. ”A really strong outing for us, especially after getting punched there right before Roll Call even started.”

Making his seventh start in place of injured Jordan Montgomery, the right-hander permitted three runs, five hits and two walks in his 19th career appearance.

Chad Green and Betances set up Aroldis Chapman for his 19th save in 20 attempts.

”It’s been a long battle for me,” German said through a translator. ”It means a lot. Hopefully I can relax a little more.”

Wilson Ramos and Joey Wendle each had an RBI single for the Rays, who were coming off a three-game sweep of Toronto.

Duffy tried to score from first on Ramos’ run-scoring single in the third when the ball caromed off left fielder Giancarlo Stanton after he charged in for it. Stanton chased down the ball and fired a strike to catcher Gary Sanchez at home plate, nailing Duffy for the final out of the third to keep the score 2-0.

Fresh off a three-day breather, the slumping Sanchez had an eventful night on defense. He also dropped a foul popup for an error, allowed a wild pitch that put a runner in scoring position and threw out Carlos Gomez trying to steal third with one out in the seventh.

Hicks hit an opposite-field homer in the fifth. Aaron Judge singled and Sanchez drew a two-out walk before Torres drove a 96 mph, full-count fastball to left for his 13th homer since being called up from the minors on April 22. This was the first one that didn’t come from the No. 9 hole – Torres batted fifth as the Yankees started nine right-handed hitters against Snell.

The rookie has five three-run homers already, most among big league hitters. Torres also went deep in Wednesday night’s loss to Washington.

”I think when you mature every day Marc-Andre Fleury Jersey , every at-bat, you believe in what (you) can do,” the 21-year-old Torres said. ”Just try to take good at-bats, believe, focus and do my job.”

New York, with the best record in the majors at 44-20, hasn’t lost consecutive games since May 22-23 at Texas.

Making a strong bid for his first All-Star selection, Snell struck out eight and threw 105 pitches in five innings. He was 3-0 with a 0.38 ERA in his previous four starts.

”We need to get him deep in ballgames. He’s done that all season for us and today for whatever reason, he just didn’t have the command to get it done,” Rays manager Kevin Cash said.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Rays: Gold Glove CF Kevin Kiermaier (right thumb surgery) and SS Adeiny Hechavarria (strained right hamstring) are moving from Class A Charlotte to Triple-A Durham this weekend to continue their rehab assignments. … RHP Chris Archer (left abdominal strain) is likely to play catch Friday, Cash said. … INF Daniel Robertson (strained left hamstring) probably will play a rehab game or two at Class A and the team hopes he’ll be ready to come off the disabled list next Thursday, the first day he’s eligible, Cash said.

Yankees: RHP Masahiro Tanaka (two strained hamstrings) was kept home with a virus but is expected back at the ballpark Friday. The issue shouldn’t delay Tanaka’s return, Boone said.

ROSTER MOVE

After the game, the Yankees optioned 1B-DH Tyler Austin to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to open a roster spot for Jonathan Loaisiga. The right-hander will be called up from Double-A Trenton to make his major league debut Friday night Nate Schmidt Jersey , pitching in place of Tanaka.

UP NEXT

Rays: Nathan Eovaldi (1-1) starts Friday night against his former team, his fourth outing since coming back from a second Tommy John surgery. Eovaldi pitched for the Yankees from 2015-16, going 14-3 in 2015, but has never faced New York. ”I wish I would have been able to finish on a healthy note. Other than that, I really enjoyed my time there,” Eovaldi said. The right-hander visited with Yankees players during batting practice and said he still keeps in close contact with Betances and reliever Chasen Shreve.

Yankees: The 23-year-old Loaisiga, from Nicaragua, returned last year from Tommy John surgery. ”I think he’s really talented. I think he’s going to be a really good pitcher in this league,” Boone said. ”I think there’s just a presence about him.” Loaisiga was 3-1 with a 4.32 ERA in six starts at Trenton after going 3-0 with a 1.35 ERA at Class A Tampa this season, striking out 58 in 45 innings combined. ”Super excited. This is a great opportunity the Yankees are giving me,” he

• Denzelle Good JerseyDatum06.11.2018 07:30

SCOREBOARD

Sunday Womens Derek Dorsett Jersey , Jan. 14

Jacksonville at Pittsburgh, 1:05 p.m. EST. The Jaguars (11-6) and Steelers (13-3) meet in the postseason for just the second time, and first since Jacksonville stunned Pittsburgh 31-29 at Heinz Field in the wild-card round of the 2007 playoffs. Blake Bortles looks to lead the Jaguars to the franchise’s third AFC title game, and first since 1999. Meanwhile, Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers will try to get to the conference championship for the second straight year.

New Orleans at Minnesota, 4:40 p.m. EST. The Vikings (13-3) have dominated against the Saints at home, going 13-3 including a victory in the 2000 divisional round. The game marks Vikings quarterback Case Keenum’s first career playoff start – and the first postseason game at U.S. Bank Stadium – site of next month’s Super Bowl. Saints quarterback Drew Brees will make the 13th postseason start of his career and he and his teammates have some history up against them: New Orleans is 1-6 in in the playoffs on the road, including 1-4 under coach Sean Payton.

STARS

Passing

– Tom Brady, Patriots, passed for three touchdowns and 337 yards to help New England cruise past Tennessee 35-14.

– Nick Foles, Eagles, went 23 of 30 for 246 yards in Philadelphia’s 15-10 victory over Atlanta.

Rushing

– Tevin Coleman, Falcons, ran for 79 yards on just 10 carries in Atlanta’s loss at Philadelphia.

– Dion Lewis, Patriots, had 62 yards on 15 attempts and added nine catches for 79 yards in New England’s rout of Tennessee.

Receiving

– Danny Amendola, Patriots, caught 11 passes for 112 yards in New England victory over Tennessee.

– Corey Davis, Titans Aaron Rodgers Jersey , had two touchdown catches in Tennessee’s loss at New England.

– Julio Jones, Falcons, caught nine passes for 101 yards in a losing cause as Atlanta fell to Philadelphia.

Special Teams

– Jake Elliott, Eagles, atoned for missing an extra point by kicking a 53-yard field goal at the end of the second quarter and added kicks of 37 and 21 yards in the second half of Philadelphia’s win over Atlanta.

Defense

– Fletcher Cox, Eagles, had seven tackles and a sack to help lead Philadelphia past Atlanta.

– Deatrich Wise and Geneo Grissom, Patriots, each had two sacks in New England’s win over Tennessee.

STREAKS & STATS

New England clinched its seventh straight appearance in the AFC championship game with a 35-14 victory over Tennessee. … Philadelphia’s Nick Foles became the first quarterback since Minnesota’s Randall Cunningham (1997) to win a playoff game after starting three or fewer games during that regular season. … Including their 15-10 victory over Atlanta, the Eagles have won 16 straight games when leading after three quarters. They’re 12-0 this season in that scenario. … New England set a franchise playoff record with eight sacks against Tennessee, including two each by Deatrich Wise and Geneo Grissom. … The Patriots are 8-0 this season when Dion Lewis has 100 or more yards from scrimmage. Lewis ran for 62 yards and had 79 yards receiving, along with a 27-yard kickoff return against Tennessee.

MILESTONES

Tom Brady threw three touchdown passes in New England’s 35-14 win over Tennessee, giving him 10 such games in his career – breaking a tie with Joe Montana for the most since the 1970 merger. At 40 years and 163 days old, Brady also became the oldest quarterback to win a playoff game. … New England’s Rob Gronkowski caught his 10th playoff touchdown in the Patriots’ 35-14 win over Tennessee, tying him with five others. Only Jerry Rice (22) and John Stallworth (12) have more.

HOT DOGS

The Philadelphia Eagles were 3-point underdogs against the sixth-seed Atlanta Falcons, the first time a No. 1 seed wasn’t favored to win its first playoff game. They needed a stop on fourth down from the 2 in the final minute to beat the Falcons 15-10 and advance to the NFC title game for the first time since the 2008 season. Right tackle Lane Johnson walked off the field wearing a dog mask while teammates barked after the win.

SEEING YELLOW

Tennessee had the second-fewest penalties during the regular season with 85, but was flagged 10 times for 62 yards against New England. It marked just the second time the Titans had 10 or more this season.

INJURIES

New England right tackle LaAdrian Waddle left the Patriots’ 35-14 victory over Tennessee with a knee injury early in the third quarter. Cornerback Jonathan Jones was helped off the field late in the fourth quarter. … Tennessee right tackle Jack Conklin walked off on his own power after injuring a knee in the first quarter, but did not return. Titans tight end Jonnu Smith was carted off in the third quarter with a right leg injury.

SPEAKING

”Just keep on disrespecting and we’re going to keep proving people wrong.” – Philadelphia wide receiver Alshon Jeffery after the Eagles topped the Atlanta Falcons 15-10 after being largely considered an underdog despite being the NFC’s No. 1 seed.

”It definitely sounds crazy. But you have to keep ignoring the noise on the outside, just keep working every time you walk into the building and just keep grinding.” – New England tight end Rob Gronkowski after the Patriots advanced to the If his right arm isn’t healed in time for his next start Randall Cobb Jersey , maybe Vince Velasquez can pitch with his left.

Ambidextrous, indeed.

Hit on his pitching arm by a line drive, Velasquez made a dazzling throw with his left hand, and Philadelphia overcame an early injury to its starting pitcher to beat the Washington Nationals 3-2 on Saturday night.

”It is well-known he is one of our best all-around athletes,” Phillies manager Gabe Kapler said. ”You just would never predict that.”

Velasquez was struck in the forearm by Adam Eaton’s liner in the second inning. He dropped his glove, hustled to retrieve the ball as it deflected toward third base, and unleashed a strong toss with his opposite arm that nipped the speedy Eaton at first for the final out.

”I tried to finish the play,” Velasquez said.

The Phillies pitcher actually spent his junior season in high school as a lefty-throwing center fielder due to bone chips in his pitching arm that prevented him from taking the mound.

And on Friday night, Velasquez startled Phillies first baseman Carlos Santana by throwing a ball to him left-handed from the dugout in between innings.

”Kind of warmed up for that play today,” Velasquez joked.

So, Velasquez knew he could throw left-handed – he just didn’t know if he could make an accurate toss.

”I actually surprised myself throwing a strike right there,” he said.

After completing the play, Velasquez then dropped to the ground, writhing in pain and clutching his right arm. He was pulled from the game with a bruise, having allowed one run and three hits.

X-rays were negative, a better result than he anticipated.

”I thought something was broken,” he said. ”Thanks to God, nothing is severe.”

Kapler said Velasquez would be further evaluated on Sunday. The pitcher said it was ”up in the air” whether he would be able to take his next turn in the rotation.

”We’ll see how it feels,” he said.

Victor Arano (1-0) followed Velasquez with two scoreless innings.

Odubel Herrera homered and Jorge Alfaro and Aaron Altherr had RBI doubles as the Phillies bounced back from a 17-7 loss. Anthony Rendon homered for the Nationals Corey Linsley Jersey , who went deep seven times in Friday night’s romp at Citizens Bank Park, but managed just eight hits against six Philadelphia pitchers.

”I thought we were going to score more than two runs after yesterday’s performance,” Nationals manager Dave Martinez said. ”We had our chances.”

Yacksel Rios kept Philadelphia in front by getting out of a jam in the eighth. After Adam Morgan allowed the first two runners to reach on a single and a walk, Rios entered and got Rendon to line out to right, Juan Soto to pop out and Mark Reynolds to ground out.

Rookie Seranthony Dominguez pitched a scoreless ninth for his seventh save in his eighth chances. Dominguez retired the first two batters before pinch-hitter Daniel Murphy doubled to right, but the right-hander retired Eaton on a flyball.

”Cool as a cucumber,” Kapler said. ”A special performance.”

Jeremy Hellickson (2-1) returned to the mound for Washington after being sidelined since June 4 with a right hamstring strain. The veteran right-hander allowed three runs on seven hits in 4 2/3 innings with four strikeouts and two walks.

RED-HOT RENDON

Rendon is batting .396 in his last 13 games, with hits in 12 of those contests. His 85 career hits against Philadelphia are tied for his most against any opponent.

WHAT A THROW

Alfaro upped his major-league lead to 15 base runners caught stealing when he nailed the swift Trea Turner for the final out in the fifth. Turner entered second in the majors with 22 steals, but was easily out.

”Alfaro threw a bullet,” Martinez said.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Nationals: RHP Stephen Strasburg (right shoulder inflammation), out since June 10, threw a bullpen session on Saturday. … Washington transferred 1B Ryan Zimmerman, who has been out since May 10 with a strained right oblique, to the 60-day DL.

UP NEXT

The teams close out the four-game series on Sunday afternoon with Washington LHP Gio Gonzalez (6-5, 3.68) facing Phillies RHP Jake Arrieta (5-6, 3.54).

• Ibraheim Campbell JerseyDatum06.11.2018 07:20

WASHINGTON — Their winning streak against the Baltimore Orioles ended Youth Darius Leonard Jersey , the Washington Nationals will turn to Max Scherzer on Thursday night as they look to win the three-game series against the team with the worst record in baseball.

Scherzer (10-3, 2.06 ERA), seeking to avoid losing three starts in a row for the first time since 2015, will be opposed by Kevin Gausman (3-6, 4.48).

In each of his last two outings, Scherzer has made one mistake and the Washington bats haven’t been able to overcome it. On June 10, he allowed a two-run homer to Brandon Crawford in a 2-0 home loss to the San Francisco Giants, and last Saturday he was touched for a two-run shot by Toronto’s Devon Travis, also in a 2-0 loss.

“This is major league baseball. One pitch can cost you a game. Now I’ve had it happen back-to-back starts,” Scherzer told the Washington Post. “… You can get beat like that.”

Scherzer allowed a combined eight hits in the two losses while striking out 19 in his first back-to-back defeats since 2015.

He leads the NL in wins, strikeouts (152) and opponents’ batting average (.171) and ranks second in ERA.

Scherzer is 6-2 with a 2.87 ERA in 11 career starts versus the Orioles. He beat them on May 30, throwing eight shutout innings and giving up just two hits.

Adam Jones is 13-for-32 (.406) with three doubles and four home runs against Scherzer, while Manny Machado is 2-for-25 and Mark Trumbo is 1-for-16.

On Wednesday night, the Orioles got a two-run homer from Trumbo and five pitchers combined for a 3-0 win Muhammad Wilkerson Jersey , snapping a six-game losing streak against Washington that dated to last season.

Baltimore (21-51) won for only the fourth time in 21 games and improved the majors’ worst road record to 10-28 after the teams endured a 2-hour, 43-minute rain delay.

“It’s never easy, especially when you get over the hour mark, two-hour mark,” Trumbo said. “Then you have to restart. It’s almost two games in one, so great job by our guys tonight.”

One night after pounding out 14 hits, the Nationals (39-33) were held to five and were shut out for the fourth time in their last nine games.

“We’ve got some pretty good hitters,” Washington manager Dave Martinez said. “We’ve just got to keep pushing and keep going. The runs will come. I know they’ll come and when they do come they’ll come in bunches.”

Gausman has not won since May 11, though in his last two starts it had as much to do with the Baltimore bats as his pitching. On June 9, he allowed three runs in 6 2/3 innings of a 4-3 loss to the Blue Jays. Then on June 15, he gave up two runs in 5 2/3 innings of a 2-0 loss to the Miami Marlins as he allowed five hits and threw 107 pitches.

“Kevin gave us a really good chance to win,” manager Buck Showalter told the Baltimore Sun. “I’m sure he’d like to take back some of the 0-2 hits he gave up, but two runs … I can’t fault him for that. It just gets magnified any runs our pitchers give up because we’re struggling so much to score runs.”

Gausman is 3-1 with a 4.70 ERA in four career starts against the Nationals. Bryce Harper is 3-for-7 against him and Anthony Rendon is 3-for-9.

The Pittsburgh Pirates had what looked like an out turn into a home run. They made a couple of questionable decisions, endured some nerve-wracking moments in the ninth inning.

But they’re leaving Arizona with a win Authentic Richard Rodgers Jersey , which is all that really matters. Everything else can wait.

Jordy Mercer homered and had three RBIs, Jameson Taillon pitched seven effective innings and the Pirates avoided a sweep with a 5-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Wednesday.

”We won. Let’s get on a plane and go home,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. ”We can peel back the layers later.”

The Pirates blew a five-run lead in the opener and were knocked for 13 runs in the second game. Pittsburgh ended Arizona’s sweep bid with a four-run second inning against Zack Greinke (5-5) and a sterling performance by Taillon (4-5).

Taillon gave up a two-run homer to David Peralta in the first inning when the ball popped out of left fielder Austin Meadows‘ glove and over the wall. Taillon got better as the game went along, working out of a jam in the second inning and allowing two runs on six hits to help end Arizona’s five-game winning streak.

Felipe Vazquez gave up a two-run single to pinch-hitter Jon Jay in the ninth before striking out Jake Lamb with the bases loaded for his 12th save.

”When you run into a team that’s pesky with two strikes, they’re tough to put away,” Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said. ”You’re going to run into some situations when you make mistakes.”

Taillon has enjoyed pitching in the afternoon, entering Wednesday’s game 8-2, including 3-0 on the road before the sun goes down. He got an unfortunate break in the first inning, when Peralta’s deep shot caromed out of Meadows’ glove as he leaped near the wall.

Taillon struck out Paul Goldschmidt with the bases loaded to end the second inning and struck out four.

”It was a weird start, but I felt really good,” Taillon said. ”I kind of had that mindset, like let’s see if I could get my pitch count right through six.”

Greinke has been dominant at Chase Field the past two seasons, going 16-1 with 2.53 ERA at Chase Field since 2017.

Arizona’s ace struggled with his command against the Pirates, walking four while striking out seven. Greinke walked two in Pittsburgh’s four-run second inning Authentic Joseph Noteboom Jersey , giving up a two-run double to Mercer and a run-scoring double to Josh Bell. Mercer hit a solo homer in the fourth to put Pittsburgh up 5-2.

Greinke was lifted after walking two in the fifth to load the bases with two outs. He allowed five runs on five hits and struck out seven.

”I felt good, but every time I put a pitch over the plate, they hit it good,” said Greinke, who had not lost at Chase Field since last Aug. 9 against the Los Angeles Dodgers. ”As long as I’m able to make good pitches it’s fine, but I wasn’t able to do that every time.”

MEADOWS’ MISCUE

One of the things the Pirates will look at when they get home is Meadows’ miscue that led to Peralta’s home run. He leaped to catch the ball just before colliding with the wall, but the ball appeared to carom out before contact was made.

”I haven’t said anything to him; we’ll show him the video,” Hurdle said. ”There’s room to go get the ball and it kind of looked like it was the fence or he drifted on the ball, there was hesitation. He had time to get under that ball or at least get to it quicker.”

DIAMONDBACKS MOVES

Arizona reinstated C Jeff Mathis from paternity leave and optioned RHP Braden Shipley to Triple-A Reno. Mathis’ wife, Jenna, gave birth to their second daughter on Sunday.

TRAINER’S TABLE

Pirates: C Francisco Cervelli returned to the lineup after missing three games while being monitored for post-concussion symptoms. He was struck on the mask by a foul ball Saturday against the Chicago Cubs.

Diamondbacks: LHP Robbie Ray (strained right oblique) is expected to throw about 50 pitches in his rehab start with Single-A Visalia on Thursday.

UP NEXT

The Pirates have a day off before right-hander Chad Kuhl the Cincinnati Reds Friday at home. Kuhl is 1-1 with a 2.78 ERA in four career starts against the Reds.

Arizona RHP Matt Koch is 2-0 with a 5.29 ERA his past three starts heading into Thursday’s game against the New York Mets.

• Chester Rogers JerseyDatum02.11.2018 08:12
    Thema von hong wei im Forum Community

inning.

Miguel Castro (2-2) tossed two hitless innings. Brad Brach allowed the Nationals to load the bases with two outs in the ninth before striking out Mark Reynolds.

Trumbo hit a two-run homer in the second off Gio Gonzalez (6-4).

Baltimore won for only the fourth time in 20 games and improved the majors’ worst road record to 10-28.

Wade LeBlanc is a journeyman. His 10-year career has featured stops with seven different organizations and even one in Japan Authentic Malik Jefferson Jersey , where he thought he was finished.

In the left-hander’s second stint with Seattle, it appears he’s finally found a home.

LeBlanc (4-0) allowed one run over seven innings after inking a contract extension with the Mariners earlier in the day, and Seattle beat the Los Angeles Angels 4-1 on Tuesday night for its eighth straight victory.

The Angels’ Shohei Ohtani was activated from the 10-day disabled list and went 0 for 4 with two strikeouts in his return. He had been sidelined since June 8 with a Grade 2 ulnar collateral ligament sprain.

“I think it was huge that I got all those at-bats in the simulated games,” Ohtani said through an interpreter. ”It’s a different game up here in the big leagues. Maybe still not quite there yet, but just keep on working hard Authentic Mark Walton Jersey , come back tomorrow.”

The Mariners announced they signed LeBlanc (4-0) to the extension before his start and the soft-tossing left-hander showed them they made a good decision. LeBlanc allowed three hits, struck out four and retired his final 11 batters.

”It’s huge,” LeBlanc said. ”It’s life-changing money, obviously, but for me Authentic Denzel Ward Jersey , I’ve never been the kind of guy to know where my family and I are going to be the next year this early.”

LeBlanc’s contract reportedly extends him through the 2019 season, with a base salary of $2.75 million and incentives that could raise that to $4.75 next season, and contains club options valued at $5 million with a $450,000 buyout the three following seasons.

It rewards LeBlanc after he’s provided an unexpected source of stability to the Mariners’ rotation. Seattle is 9-3 in games he’s started and he boasts a 2.90 ERA since moving to the rotation on May 3.

”It’s good to feel wanted,” Mariners manager Scott Servais said. ”I know Wade’s been everywhere in his career Authentic Connor Williams Jersey , but we’re definitely seeing the best of Wade LeBlanc right now. I’m looking forward to having him in the future. He’s done an unbelievable job for us.

”The best part about these deals with a guy like that that’s bounced around, is that he’s earned it. And that’s really what makes you feel good and allows you to sleep at night.”

LeBlanc was signed by the Mariners in spring training after he requested his release from the Yankees, who signed him to a minor league contract.

Alex Colome picked LeBlanc up by stranding Kole Calhoun after his one-out double in the eighth and Edwin Diaz earned his American League-leading 33rd save with a clean ninth inning.

Kyle Seager was 2 for 4 and drove in a pair of runs with a bases-loaded double in the first. Nelson Cruz provided insurance with a solo homer in the eighth.

Andrew Heaney (4-6) tied a career high with 10 strikeouts, but was tagged with three runs in the first inning to fall behind and was handed the loss.

“Andrew was terrific tonight,” Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. ”The walks were probably the one negative for him in the first inning.

”He pitched a great game Authentic Bradley Chubb Jersey , gave us a chance to win. We just couldn’t get any kind of pressure offensively.”

Andrelton Simmons’ homer in the fourth was all the Angels could muster offensively.

300 CLUB

Mariners second baseman Dee Gordon stole third base in the eighth inning to put him at 300 career stolen bases.

TRAINER’S ROOM

ANGELS: Angels outfielder Chris Young exited in the first inning with a left hamstring strain, the club announced. Young stumbled to the ground while fielding Seager’s double to right field and fell to the ground in noticeable pain, staying there until leaving the game with trainers.

MARINERS: Servais said Erasmo Ramirez’s bullpen on Sunday went well and the right-hander will move on with his throwing program.

UP NEXT

ANGELS: RHP Garrett Richards (4-4) will be activated from the 10-day disabled list and start against the Mariners on Wednesday. He’s been out since June 14 with a left hamstring sprain.

MARINERS: RHP Mike Leake (8-4) will make his 18th start of the season and third against the Angels on Wednesday. The 30-year-old has lasted seven-plus innings seven times this season and boasted a 2.57 ERA in June.

• Josh Ferguson JerseyDatum02.11.2018 08:05

Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson braced themselves for a long-anticipated flurry of questions at the NFL’s annual scouting combine.

Even practice might not have prepared them for Friday.

The two Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks found themselves repeatedly talking about their biggest perceived weaknesses – Mayfield’s size and brash personality and Jackson’s future at quarterback. All they need to do now is convince pro scouts they’re worthy of being first-round draft picks in April.

”I’m the most accurate quarterback in this draft for sure Authentic Blake Wheeler Jersey ,” said Mayfield, last year’s runaway Heisman winner. ”I’m ready to be a franchise guy.”

Perhaps he will be the guy who turns around a struggling franchise, regardless of venue.

After all, Mayfield does possess the gaudy numbers, a multitude of honors and the winning resume pro teams covet in a starting quarterback. Mayfield went 33-6 as Oklahoma’s starter.

What he lacks in size, standing a smidge over 6 feet, Mayfield makes up with a bold confidence and brash personality that ranks second to none.

The combination has occasionally led the blurring of lines between excitable celebration and unsportsmanlike conduct.

Those antics – the planting of the flag at Ohio State, the crotch-grabbing gesture at Kansas and the image of him running onto the field against Texas Tech, his former school, with a T-shirt reading ”traitor” – have some NFL executives wondering how it would resonate in a locker room full of grown men.

Mayfield insists, though, he can change his actions.

”I’m up front and honest, brutally honest,” he said. ”Some people don’t like that because it’s rare these days.”

But it’s not just the on-the-field incidents that worry some.

Mayfield also was involved an embarrassing run-in with law enforcement officers in Arkansas last offseason and endured the humiliation of being stripped of his captain’s title before his last home game at Oklahoma.

Teammates, however, have never wavered in their support.

”It’s just really a perception,” left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. said. ”He’s not the guy you think he is. He’s a captain. He’s a leader. He’s very focused, and he’s going to bring everyone together.”

Jackson finds himself in a vastly different situation.

Despite having equally impressive stats Bryan Little Jersey , his own Heisman trophy and playing in an efficient spread offense, the questions about Jackson and former Ohio State star J.T. Barrett are all about fit.

Both were dangerous throwing and running in college, and history suggests the dual-threat quarterbacks either don’t stick around long or stay healthy. Robert Griffin III and Tim Tebow are recent examples, which might explain reports suggesting Jackson will also work out with the receivers on Saturday.

Jackson repeatedly denied it.

”I thought I did a good job at quarterback (at Louisville). I did,” he said. I’m here at the combine to show my ability. It (the talk) is just more motivation and I’m going to show them how good I am.”

While Jackson has the numbers to prove his value at quarterback, Barrett’s numbers suggest something else.

The only three-time captain in Ohio State history played on two Big Ten title teams, a national champion and was chosen the conference quarterback of the year three times. But his inconsistency frustrated fans and have scouts asking questions about his accuracy – and whether he’s capable of being an NFL quarterback.

”I’m here to show 32 teams why they should draft me, and I think I can do that,” Barrett said.

Mayfield has the most to gain or lose here.

If he can sell teams on his personality and that he can play more in the mold of other short quarterbacks such as Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, Mayfield’s stock could soar and might push him into the top five or 10. If not, Mayfield could have a longer wait on draft day.

But nobody here believes more strongly in Mayfield than the Oklahoma quarterback. All you have to do is ask.

”I think if anyone is going to turn that franchise around, it would be me,” Mayfield said when asked about going to the Cleveland Browns, who have No. 1 and No. 4 overall picks in April.

As for the height question, Mayfield cited some success stories before finishing: ”If you want to see anything else, I’ve got three years of tape to prove it.”

Notes: More than a month after Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski committed suicide, the Cougars’ departing starter, Luke Falk Womens Connor Hellebuyck Jersey , acknowledged he’s still shaken by the event. ”It’s still just feels unreal. I know the guys up there are really doing a lot of team activities and trying to come together,” Falk said. ”But I don’t think we’ll ever get over it. It’s always going to be with us. Tyler is always going to be with us. Hopefully a lot of good comes from it. Tyler will always be a part of us.”

Tyler Mahle tossed one-run ball into the seventh inning and the Cincinnati Reds edged the Cubs 3-2 on Friday for their fifth straight victory over Chicago.

Adam Duvall and Scooter Gennett drove in runs as the Reds won for the 14th time in 18 games and ended the Cubs’ six-game winning streak. Billy Hamilton, Cincinnati’s No. 9 hitter, had three hits and leadoff man Jose Peraza had two.

Mahle (7-6) allowed five hits and struck out four over 6 2/3 innings to win his fourth straight decision. In his last seven starts, the 23-year-old right-hander has a 2.06 ERA.

Raisel Iglesias, Cincinnati’s third reliever, got the final five outs for his 17th save in 20 chances.

Cubs starter Mike Montgomery (3-3) allowed three runs on six hits in five innings while walking two and hitting two batters.

TIGERS 3, RANGERS 1

DETROIT – Jordan Zimmermann denied Bartolo Colon’s bid at baseball history, striking out 11 batters in eight innings as Detroit beat Texas.

Colon (5-6) as trying to become the winningest Latin-American pitcher in major league history. He remains tied with Dennis Martinez with 245 career victories.

He pitched well, allowing three runs – including homers by James McCann and JaCoby Jones – in an eight-inning complete game, but Zimmermann (4-0) was better. The Tigers right-hander allowed one run and four hits and struck out 10 or more for the first time since his no-hitter for Washington against Florida on Sept. 28, 2014.

Joe Jimenez pitched the ninth for his third save, helping the Tigers end a three-game losing streak by winning for just the third time in 17 games.

BLUE JAYS 6, YANKEES 2

TORONTO – Justin Smoak hit a three-run homer, Yangervis Solarte reached base four times and Toronto beat New York.

Smoak connected in Toronto’s five-run second inning, when the Blue Jays batted around and put an early end to struggling right-hander Sonny Gray’s latest outing.

Solarte went 3 for 4 with a walk as the Blue Jays won for the 12th time in 16 home games.

Aaron Hicks homered and had two RBIs in the opener of New York’s 11-game road trip.

Gray (5-7) allowed five runs and six hits in two innings, his shortest start of the season and his third straight loss. Gray lasted just 2 1/3 innings in his previous start, matching a season worst by allowing six runs in an 11-0 loss to the division-leading Boston Red Sox.

Joe Biagni (1-5) pitched 1 2/3 innings of relief for his first win of 2018.

METS 5 Dmitry Kulikov Jersey , RAYS 1

NEW YORK – Jose Bautista’s grand slam with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted New York over Tampa Bay.

Todd Frazier walked and Devin Mesoraco singled to open the ninth against Chaz Roe (1-2) before Amed Rosario’s sacrifice advanced the runners. Roe then got pinch-hitter Dominic Smith on a comebacker and intentionally walked Brandon Nimmo to load the bases.

Bautista homered to left field on the first pitch he saw for his first career walk-off blast. It was his sixth homer of the season and gave the Mets their third win in their last 18 games at home.

Tampa Bay had a chance to take the lead in the top of the ninth against New York closer Jeurys Familia (4-4) but came up short.

Jacob deGrom was once again stellar for the Mets, allowing just one run and four hits while striking out eight and issuing one walk over eight innings.

INDIANS 10, ATHLETICS 4

CLEVELAND – Carlos Carrasco returned from the disabled list – and returned to the win column – as Jose Ramirez and Edwin Encarnacion drove in three runs apiece, leading Cleveland to its fifth straight victory.

Carrasco (9-5) shook off two homers measuring over 900 combined feet in the first two innings and pitched into the sixth in his first start since being drilled on the right elbow by a line drive on June 16. He struck out seven in 5 1/3 innings and showed no rustiness despite the layoff.

Francisco Lindor stole home as the AL Central-leading Indians won their eighth straight home game. Cleveland is an MLB-best 56-21 at Progressive Field since the All-Star break last season.

Matt Olson and Dustin Fowler homered for the A’s, who lost for just the second time in 10 games since June 25. Paul Blackburn (2-3) took the loss after allowing six runs, five earned, in four innings.

NATIONALS 3, MARLINS 2

WASHINGTON – Pinch-hitter Mark Reynolds led off the bottom of the ninth inning with a home run that lifted Washington past Miami.

Kyle Barraclough (0-3) fell behind Reynolds 3-0 and on 3-1 before the Nationals slugger sent a fastball into the visitor’s bullpen in left-center for his eighth home run.

Sean Doolittle (3-2) pitched a scoreless ninth for the win as Washington defeated Miami for the 13th consecutive game dating to last season.

Miami starter Dan Straily lasted six innings, allowing two runs on five hits.

Gio Gonzalez threw 114 pitches over five innings and gave up eight hits and four walks.

BREWERS 5, BRAVES 4

MILWAUKEE – Jesus Aguilar hit his 20th homer, rookie Freddy Peralta pitched six sharp innings and surging Milwaukee held off Atlanta.

Tyler Saladino also homered for the Brewers, who have won five straight to extend their NL Central lead to 2 1/2 games over the second-place Cubs.

After Peralta (4-1) departed, Atlanta rallied for three runs in the seventh off Jacob Barnes. But the Braves‘ rally faltered when they failed to score with two on and no out after Dan Jennings replaced Barnes, and then left two on with one out in the eighth against Jeremy Jeffress.

Corey Knebel worked around a one-out single in the ninth for his 11th save. Atlanta has lost a season-h

• Chester Rogers JerseyDatum02.11.2018 08:00

Adalberto Mondesi is back with the Kansas City Royals as part of a roster shuffle.

The Royals made six moves Sunday before playing Houston.

Mondesi Authentic Vincent Trocheck Jersey , the first player to make his major league debut in a World Series game, was recalled from Triple-A Omaha.

The Royals also called up outfielder Rosell Herrera and purchased the contract of right-hander Wily Peralta from Omaha. They optioned right-hander Scott Barlow and infielder Ramon Torres to their Pacific Coast League affiliate. They transferred left-handed pitcher Eric Skoglund to the 60-day disabled list.

Mondesi struck out as a pinch-hitter in the 2015 World Series against the New York Mets. He was once the Royals’ top prospect, but has been derailed by injuries and a 50-game drug suspension in 2016.

The 22-year-old opened the 2017 season as Kansas City’s starting second baseman, but was sent back to the minors after hitting .109 in his first 14 games. Mondesi, the son of former major league outfielder Raul Mondesi, has a .181 batting average with 60 strikeouts in 188 at-bats in 72 games in the majors.

”He’s never had success up here,” Royals manager Ned Yost said. ”He’s a young guy. You just try to pace him a little bit, play a couple of games here, a couple of games there and get his feet on the ground, let him start to have some success, which we all know he’s going to have, just let him ease into that.”

Yost said he plans to play Mondesi about four days a week.

”Every year he’s been hurt, so that’s the concern,” Yost said. ”We want to try to get him through the year healthy. We wanted to get Mondesi back playing and get him up here, again to get some of our younger kids up that we’re going to move forward with up here and gaining that experience.”

Mondesi hit .250 with 16 extra-base hits, 21 RBIs and 10 stolen bases in 29 games at Triple-A.

The Royals claimed Herrera off waivers from Cincinnati on June 2. He hit .278 in 10 games with Omaha. He went 2 for 11 in 13 games earlier this season with the Reds.

”Herrera is very athletic,” Yost said. ”As an organization we haven’t seen him that much. He can play multiple positions. He can play all three positions in the outfield, can play some third base. It will be interesting to get a look at him.”

Peralta Authentic Evgenii Dadonov Jersey , a 17-game winner in 2014 with Milwaukee, signed with the Royals on December 5 as a free agent, but in spring training allowed 14 runs on 16 hits, including four home runs, and eight walks over eight innings. He began the year in the minors and posted a 4.37 ERA in 18 outings with Omaha, but had a 1.96 ERA on his last nine outings.

”Our whole goal with (Brandon) Maurer and Peralta was to get them throwing good and get them back here. That has been the case,” Yost said.

The Seattle Mariners signed general manager Jerry Dipoto to a multiyear contract extension on Friday, a reward for the club being on track to end the longest playoff drought in the four major professional sports in the U.S.

The agreement comes with the Mariners 24 games above .500, and striving to make the postseason for the first time since 2001.

”We’re obviously happy with the work he’s done so far and look forward to the next several years as well,” team president and CEO Kevin Mather said. ”We are having some success on the field, but when I said the work he has done so far, I’m referring to day one. We hired him Sept. 28, 2015 and he hasn’t stopped since the day he got here.”

Since the start of the 2016 season, Dipoto’s first full year, the Mariners have the eighth-best record in the majors at 220-192. Seattle’s 56-32 start through 88 games is tied for the second-best mark in franchise history. Only the 2001 team that tied the major league mark for most wins in a season with 116 victories surpassed the start of the 2018 Mariners.

”This is a no-brainer for me,” Dipoto said. ”I told you all when I got here that this was a dream job for me. It’s a great market in a city that is starved to win, with an opportunity to be creative.”

While there are still issues in the farm system, Dipoto has succeeded in making the major league product better. He has turned over a roster that had gotten old and added key younger pieces like Mitch Haniger Josh Malone Jersey , Jean Segura and Dee Gordon, who are major contributors in Seattle’s start to this season.

Dipoto also has locked up key parts of Seattle’s core for the next several seasons, either through club control through arbitration or long-term extensions. Seattle’s current starting rotation is under contract through the 2019 season and the only everyday player without club control beyond this season is designated hitter Nelson Cruz.

When Dipoto took over in 2015, the Mariners were looking for stability after a tough finish to Jack Zduriencik’s tenure with the club. Dipoto himself was trying to rebuild his own career after a less than amicable departure from the Los Angeles Angels amid conflict with manager Mike Scioscia.

Dipoto made numerous moves in his first year with Seattle, starting the roster churn that added more youth to the club. Seattle won 86 games in 2016 before backsliding to 78-84 last year amid numerous injuries to the pitching staff.

Seattle was thought to be a fringe playoff contender this year but is in the thick of the hunt nearing the All-Star break.

”My time here – the 2 1/2 years – has, I think, gone just as well as I hoped it could go, provided we finish strong,” Dipoto said.

”It takes a village to build a baseball organization, and we’ve got a pretty good village. This is a new day to move forward. The Mariners are playing very well. I’m thrilled for this group, but I’m more thrilled that this group has an opportunity to continue to do what they’re doing.”

With Dipoto locked up, the focus turns to manager Scott Servais, whose contract is up at the end of the 2018 season.

”Scott has been my partner for far longer than we’ve been here,” Dipoto said. ”Whether it be dreaming about what we wanted to create as a franchise, whether it be in player development and what we are doing in scouting, or now culminating with how to build a major league roster and how to guide it, I don’t envision a time where I’m doing my job without him doing his job.”

• Ryan Kelly JerseyDatum02.11.2018 07:54

Rick Porcello hit a three-run double off former teammate Max Scherzer and pitched six effective innings Jamaal Williams Jersey , leading the Boston Red Sox to a 4-3 victory over the Washington Nationals on Monday night.

Porcello got his first career extra-base hit came in the second inning on a 0-2 pitch after the Nationals intentionally walked Jackie Bradley Jr. Porcello drove Scherzer’s 96-mph fastball over the head of Juan Soto in left center for his first RBIs since 2009.

Scherzer and Porcello were teammates for five seasons with the Detroit Tigers.

Porcello (10-3) allowed two runs and seven hits. Craig Kimbrel got four outs for his 25th save.

Bryce Harper, Anthony Rendon and Daniel Murphy homered for the Nationals. Scherzer (10-5) struck out nine in six innings.

BRAVES 5, YANKEES 3, 11 INNINGS

NEW YORK (AP) – Ronald Acuna Jr. hit a two-run homer in the 11th inning that nicked the glove of a leaping Aaron Judge in right field, and the Braves beat the Yankees in a matchup of two of baseball’s best teams.

Johan Camargo homered early and Jesse Biddle (2-0) pitched out of a late jam for the NL East leaders, who earned their fourth consecutive victory. A.J. Minter got three outs for his fourth save.

The 20-year-old Acuna also doubled and drove in three runs, four years to the day after the touted rookie signed with the Braves (49-34).

Judge hit his 23rd homer for the Yankees (54-28), and second in two nights. David Robertson (5-3) got the loss.

INDIANS 9, ROYALS 3

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – Francisco Lindor homered twice and drove in a career-high seven runs, powering Cleveland to the road win.

Indians ace Corey Kluber (12-4), who failed to make it out of the second inning in his previous start at St. Louis, allowed three runs and seven hits in six innings.

Lindor belted a grand slam in the fourth and a three-run shot in the sixth.

Whit Merrifield homered on Kluber’s third pitch for his fourth career leadoff home run. Kansas City has lost 23 of their last 28 games.

Royals right-hander Jakob Junis (5-10) was tagged for nine runs, eight earned, and eight hits in 5 1/3 innings.

CARDINALS 6, DIAMONDBACKS 3

PHOENIX (AP) – Yadier Molina homered, Carlos Martinez pitched six effective innings and the Cardinals ended a four-game losing streak.

Molina hit a two-run single in the Cardinals’ four-run first inning against Robbie Ray (3-1) and hit his 12th homer off the left-hander in the sixth.

Jedd Gyorko also homered and had two RBIs to end Ray’s nine-game winning streak, dating to last season.

Martinez (5-4) allowed two runs and six hits. Bud Norris worked a perfect ninth for his 16th save.

Paul Goldschmidt had four hits and an RBI for the Diamondbacks, who have lost four straight.

ROCKIES 5, GIANTS 2

DENVER (AP) – Kyle Freeland turned in another sizzling start at Coors Field and Colorado scored the go-ahead run in the seventh on a throwing error by shortstop Brandon Crawford.

Freeland (8-6) settled in to go seven strong innings after surrendering a homer to Gorkys Hernandez on the first pitch of the game. It was Freeland’s 12th quality start of the season.

Wade Davis worked his way around a one-out double by Buster Posey in the ninth for his 24th save. He struck out Crawford to end the game.

San Francisco ace Madison Bumgarner (1-3) was charged with three runs, two earned, and seven hits in six-plus innings.

BREWERS 6 Authentic Su'a Cravens Jersey , TWINS 5, 10 INNINGS

MILWAUKEE (AP) – Brad Miller drew a bases-loaded walk in the 10th inning, sending Milwaukee to the win.

Nate Orf, playing in his first major league game, was hit by a pitch from Zack Littell (0-2) leading off the 10th. Manny Pina followed with a single and Keon Broxton walked.

Hernan Perez then bounced into a fielder’s choice before Miller’s walk ended the game.

Corey Knebel (2-0) pitched a scoreless 10th for the Brewers, who trailed 5-1 after Robbie Grossman hit his first career grand slam in the fifth.

MARLINS 3, RAYS 2, 10 INNINGS

MIAMI (AP) – Yadiel Rivera’s infield hit in the 10th inning scored Brian Anderson, lifting Miami to the victory.

Anderson walked against Ryne Stanek (1-2) and took third on a single by J.T. Realmuto. Rivera, who entered as a defensive replacement in the ninth, then pulled a one-hopper up the line.

Third baseman Matt Duffy backhanded the ball and double-clutched in foul territory before making a wild throw home, but the play was ruled a hit.

Tampa Bay has lost 21 one-run games, most in the majors.

Drew Rucinski (3-1) pitched a perfect 10th for the win.

REDS 5, WHITE SOX 3

CINCINNATI (AP) – Alex Blandino’s double in the eighth inning completed Cincinnati’s four-run rally.

The Reds loaded the bases with one out against Chris Volstad (1-5). Adam Duvall grounded to first baseman Matt Davidson, who was indecisive. He took several steps toward first before throwing home too late to get Scooter Gennett scoring from third base.

Billy Hamilton followed with a sacrifice fly that tied it at 3, and Blandino’s pinch-hit double put the Reds in position for another comeback win. They’ve trailed in seven of their last 10 victories.

Dylan Floro (3-2) retired two in the eighth. Raisel Iglesias pitched the ninth for his 16th save in 18 chances.

TIGERS 3, BLUE JAYS 2

TORONTO (AP) – Jose Iglesias hit a tiebreaking sacrifice fly in the 10th inning, and the Tigers earned their second straight victory following a season-long 11-game losing streak.

Niko Goodrum tripled off Seunghwan Oh (4-3) with one out and scored the winning run when Iglesias followed

Vince McMahon is resuscitating the XFL.

OK, let’s get the bad jokes out of the way: Are some teams going to be wearing masks and representing parts unknown? Will the hook-and-ladder play involve smashing someone with a real ladder?

The XFL was a ”colossal failure” the first time McMahon tried it – his words – and there’s every reason to believe XFL2 will meet a similar fate.

But a spring football league, done the right way, could work.

And, no Authentic Courtland Sutton Jersey , we’re not kidding around.

The United States Football League came up with the most feasible concept back in the 1980s, only to crumble after just three seasons because of out-of-control spending and a suicidal push by owners such as Donald Trump to compete directly against the NFL .

But the USFL might still be around today if it had stuck to its original concept, which was to serve as more of a complement to the NFL than a direct competitor.

The timing is ripe for another attempt.

While the economy is booming and football remains the nation’s most popular sport, the NFL is contending with shrinking TV ratings, empty seats and a lingering debate over players kneeling during the national anthem to protest social injustice. For the first time in decades, there are actually some cracks in the league’s armor.

Clearly, those issues figured into McMahon’s planned re-launch of the XFL in 2020 .

”As far as this league is concerned, it will have nothing to do with politics, nothing to do with social issues,” he said. ”That’s what the fans want. When they tune in to a game, they don’t want to deal with political issues. They want to watch good football.”

Good football will likely be the fatal flaw in McMahon’s new venture, just as it was for the original XFL. While the risque cheerleaders and close ties to wrestling brought plenty of much-deserved ridicule, it was the amateurish quality of play that ultimately caused its downfall. As Bob Costas memorably observed, it was ”mediocre high school football” combined ”with a tawdry strip club.”

Since McMahon’s new XFL will follow the same single-entity plan – he’ll be the sole owner of the eight-team league – there’s unlikely to be nearly enough money to lure any recognizable names, unless Tim Tebow (yes, he came up during the announcement Thursday) decides to make a football comeback.

But an updated version of the USFL concept would have a real chance at succeeding during the spring and summer, football’s traditional offseason.

Here’s a few ideas:

– Start with 10 or 12 teams, split between major NFL cities such as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles; those that have lost teams (San Diego, St. Louis and soon-to-be Oakland); and untapped markets with big league stadiums (San Antonio comes to mind).

– Restrict ownership to those who not only have deep pockets, but are totally committed to the concept (i.e., not simply trying to turn their investment into a merger with the NFL). Point out the relative bargain of owning a team in the new league compared to Authentic Isaac Yiadom Jersey , say, the Carolina Panthers, whose selling price will surely exceed $2 billion. Maybe Mark Cuban would be interested in a Dallas franchise. Reach out to Oprah Winfrey about a Chicago team.

– Don’t get into a bidding war with the NFL over players. Focus heavily on scouting and development, which means pursuing lower-level pros who might thrive in a bigger role and college stars projected to go in the later rounds of the NFL draft. Always be on the lookout for someone like 2016 Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson, the subject of wildly varying draft projections, who might have a better chance at playing time in a new league. And let’s not forget: Colin Kaepernick is still unemployed.

– Line up a traditional TV deal to provide financial stability, perhaps some combination of a major network and a newer, sports-themed cable outlet such as NBCSN or Fox Sports 1. But also be on the cutting edge of subscription services, mobile streaming and other innovative conduits that appeal to a younger audience.

In essence, follow the model laid out by the late David Dixon, the New Orleans businessman whose longtime push for an out-of-season league finally came to fruition with the launch of the USFL in 1983.

Looking back, that first season was a rousing success in many ways. The Denver Gold averaged more than 41,000 fans. Overall attendance was roughly in line with the hoped-for 25,000 per game. TV ratings on ABC and then-fledgling ESPN actually exceeded projections. The quality of play was solid.

But the seeds of the USFL’s downfall were already in motion. When the New Jersey Generals skirted the salary cap to lure Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker away from Georgia, it only led more teams to dole out big bucks in pursuit of stars. That, in turn, led to huge financial losses. Dixon wisely walked away after that inaugural season.

In the end, the USFL’s most enduring legacy was the $3 judgment it ”won” in an antitrust suit against the NFL, a ruling that finished off the league in 1986 before it carried out a Trump-backed move from spring to fall.

No one since has made a serious attempt at a spring football league.

A revived XFL certainly doesn’t qualify.

But someone out there should heed McMahon’s words.

”Football is America’s favorite sport,” he said. ”We’ve got seven months of no football on the gridiron and 70 million fans. Why not now? Now is the perfect opportunity.”

Paul Newb

• Chester Rogers JerseyDatum02.11.2018 07:49

Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis says the 2018 season will be his last.

Davis confirmed his decision during an appearance on NFL Network on Friday. While the Panthers didn’t make an official announcement Anthony Castonzo Jersey , the team posted a picture of Davis on its Twitter page with the word ”Respect.”

Davis said he made his decision when the team signed him to a contract extension through 2018. He said he had been seeking an extension through 2019.

”For me, it was a no-brainer,” Davis said. ”Like, `This is how long they want me here for.’ This is how much time I have to dedicate to this organization to try to win a Super Bowl, and that’s my mindset.”

Davis, 34, was Carolina’s first-round draft pick in 2005 and has spent his entire career with the Panthers. He’s seventh in team history with 13 career interceptions and eighth with 28 sacks.

In 2014, Davis was named the league’s Walter Payton Man of the Year. Sandwiched around that honor were All-Pro honors in 2013 and 2015. During the last six seasons, Davis has missed just three games despite the last of three ACL repairs.

After the Panthers lost to the New Orleans Saints in the playoffs last weekend Johnny Unitas Jersey , Davis said he expects to have a reduced role in 2018 as Shaq Thompson gets more time.

Davis was suspended for one game late in the season for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Green Bay Packers receiver Davante Adams.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Tampa Bay Rays continue to win games they perhaps shouldn’t, and they’ll have an opportunity for more of that Saturday against Houston’s Justin Verlander.

The Rays (40-41) hit the midway point of their 2018 season with a 3-2 win over Houston, giving them six wins in their last seven games. Their pitching has led the way — three times in the last four games, they have held their opponent to three hits or less, this after doing so only three times in the first 77 games of this season.

“If we are going to win a lot of game and we are going to string a bunch together, we have to have good pitching,” Rays manager Kevin Cash said. “The timely hitting is great, but we have to stay in the ballgame. For us to have allowed three runs in 18 innings against arguably the best team in baseball Ryan Kelly Jersey , we should find a way to win one.”

Houston will send Verlander, who has been dominant (9-3, 1.82 ERA) but has gotten surprisingly little run support from a potent Astros lineup.

Houston is just 11-7 in games he starts, and the Astros have scored a total of two runs in five of those losses.

So Saturday could look like Thursday’s 1-0 Astros win, or could look like Friday’s 3-2 loss, which saw two errors factor in Tampa Bay’s scoring.

Verlander faced the Rays just 11 days ago in Houston, again pitching well, allowing one run on six hits in 6 2/3 innings, but ultimately taking a no-decision in a 2-1 loss. He has 136 strikeouts in 113 innings this season and a ridiculous 0.81 WHIP.

Against the Rays for his career Peyton Manning Jersey , Verlander is 8-3 with a 3.18 ERA, but since 2010, he’s just 4-3, despite a 1.72 ERA in his last five starts against the Rays. At Tropicana Field, he’s 5-2 all-time with a 2.53 ERA, including a 1.20 ERA in his last two outings.

The Rays counter with reliever-turned-starter Ryne Stanek, who has thrived in the “opener” role that Tampa Bay has essentially created in the past six weeks. He’s starting for the second time in three days against the Astros having thrown 1 2/3 innings of scoreless, hitless baseball Thursday night. For the month of June, he’s pitched in 11 games and 14 2/3 innings without allowing a run.

He’s held opponents to just four hits Quenton Nelson Jersey , lowering his season ERA to 1.85, just barely above Verlander’s.

The Astros know they have to be careful with the white ceiling of Tropicana Field — the Rays’ three-run fourth inning got a spark Friday when center fielder Jake Marisnick couldn’t hold onto a pop at the warning track, allowing a run to score.

“When you play here, you try to not take your eye off the ball,” Marisnick said. “With the ceiling, I kind of glanced quickly at the ball, then looked back up and lost track. I wasn’t able to come up with it. That’s a play I need to make 10 out of 10 times.”

• Kevin White JerseyDatum02.11.2018 07:42

The Latest on Philadelphia’s first Super Bowl victory and the fans’ reaction (all times local):

3:40 p.m.

Walt Disney World is throwing a parade in honor of Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles.

The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback rode atop a float at Disney’s Magic Kingdom in Orlando Marcus Mariota Jersey Big , Florida, on Monday afternoon.

The parade came a day after Foles led his team to its first Super Bowl victory with a 41-33 win over the New England Patriots.

He threw for 373 yards with three touchdown passes and caught a touchdown pass on a key second-quarter fourth down.

Foles fist-bumped Mickey Mouse amid a shower of green confetti as fans cheered him on. He told the crowd, ”It’s all right to yell. We’re world champs! We did it! We did it!”

3:15 p.m.

The Eagles have landed.

Fresh off their first Super Bowl title, the Philadelphia Eagles arrived home Monday afternoon. Throngs of overjoyed fans greeted the team’s plane at Philadelphia International Airport, cheering wildly and singing ”Fly Eagles Fly.”

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, Coach Doug Pederson and stars like tight end Zach Ertz and running back LeGarrette Blount approached the chain-link fence separating the team from the fans, smiling, pumping their arms and hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. Many players shot video with their cellphones.

The underdog Eagles beat the New England Patriots 41-33 Sunday night.

2:35 p.m.

Philadelphia’s top police official says he got hit in the head by a bottle during one of the big street celebrations of the Eagles’ first Super Bowl victory.

Commissioner Richard Ross tells TV station WPVI that ”the lion’s share of people just celebrate peacefully, but you’re going to get some idiots out there.”

He says bottles were thrown at police officers at times and some suffered minor injuries Authentic Derrick Henry Jersey , including himself.

Ross says that he ”doesn’t get what people do and why they do it.”

Philadelphia officials say there were some acts of vandalism, a gas station was looted and three arrests were made as tens of thousands of people converged on downtown to celebrate the Eagles’ first Super Bowl title.

12:40 p.m.

The date is set for Philadelphia’s Super Bowl victory parade.

The city announced Monday that the parade will be Thursday, starting at 11 a.m. at Broad Street near the stadiums. It will move north along the city’s main thoroughfare, past City Hall and finish at the art museum’s ”Rocky Steps.”

The team is scheduled to arrive at Philadelphia’s airport Monday afternoon.

The Eagles won their first Super Bowl in franchise history Sunday, defeating the New England Patriots 41-33.

11:15 a.m.

Philadelphia’s mayor says the Eagles’ Super Bowl parade will most likely take place on Thursday.

KYW-TV reports Mayor Jim Kenney on Monday set the tentative parade date during an interview on the 94WIP Morning Show.

The National Weather Service says Thursday will be mostly sunny with a high of 34 degrees. Rain and snow are expected in the city Wednesday.

The Eagles won their first Super Bowl in franchise history Sunday, defeating the New England Patriots 41-33.

10:20 a.m.

Philadelphia officials say there were some acts of vandalism, a gas station was looted and three arrests were made as tens of thousands of people converged on downtown to celebrate the Eagles’ first Super Bowl title.

A city spokeswoman says Monday that there were several acts of vandalism where windows were smashed and some injuries were reported around light poles pulled down Sunday night when crowds gathered to celebrate the Eagles 41-33 victory over the New England Patriots.

The city said that other than a ”handful of bad actors” the celebrations were peaceful.

The Philadelphia Fire Department said Sunday was an average day that included nearly 800 EMS incidents, about 150 fire incidents, seven structure fires and ”1 Super Bowl championship.”

8 a.m.

Bud Light is spilling the details on how Philadelphia can cash in on its promise of free beer for the city now that the Eagles have won the Super Bowl.

They’re making good on a summertime deal with Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson.

The company tweeted that 25 bars along the parade route will be offering free Bud Light to patrons.

The deal came after Johnson said in an interview last summer that should the Eagles win the Super Bowl Derrick Henry Jersey Big , he would give out beer ”to everybody.”

Bud Light tweeted to Johnson ”Let’s make a bet. Win it all and the party is on us. Deal?”

The beer maker went on to change its catchphrase ”Dilly Dilly” to ”Philly Philly” celebrating the Eagles playoff run.

7:30 a.m.

Twelve people were taken to the hospital and six people were arrested during a post-Super Bowl disturbance at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

A university spokesman says about 2,000 people gathered outdoors at the Southwest Residential Area after the Philadelphia Eagles beat the New England Patriots 41-33 on Sunday night.

Campus police says fights broke out, the crowd threw objects and set off smoke bombs and firecrackers. Police used pepper balls to disperse the crowd and the area was cleared by 11:30 p.m.

Those transported to hospitals suffered from head injuries, lacerations and alcohol intoxication.

Police say those arrested face criminal charges, and if they are students they face puni Chris Davis is feeling ”calm and easy” at the plate.

His big swings are making the Baltimore Orioles feel like winners again.

One day after hitting a drought-breaking homer, Davis belted a three-run double and Mark Trumbo hit a first-inning grand slam to power the Orioles to a 7-5 win over the Atlanta Braves on Saturday.

Davis worked on his swing for almost two weeks before returning to the lineup on Friday with his first homer since May 9, and he added more momentum to his renewed confidence with his big fifth-inning double high off the right-center wall.

”I feel a lot better,” Davis said. ”I feel like I’m getting there. I’m starting to get that calm and easy feel, seeing the ball a little bit better and putting some good swings on the ball.”

Dylan Bundy (6-7) allowed two runs and seven hits in 6 1/3 innings while improving to 3-0 in June. One day after allowing four runs and recording only one out Travis Konecny Jersey , Zach Britton pitched around a one-out walk to Johan Camargo in the ninth to earn his first save.

The last-place Orioles have won four of six.

AL East-leading Atlanta dropped its third consecutive game. Julio Teheran (5-5) allowed a season-high seven runs in 4 2/3 innings.

Trumbo’s homer was his fourth in his last six games. He has seven homers this season after missing April with a right quad strain.

Nick Markakis, who spent his first nine seasons with Baltimore, drove in three runs for Atlanta, including a two-run double off Donnie Hart in the seventh.

Ozzie Albies had four hits for the Braves, including an infield single off Mychal Givens in the eighth that sent Charlie Culberson to third base. Givens’ errant pickoff throw to first base allowed Culberson to score, cutting Baltimore’s lead to 7-5. Givens walked Freddie Freeman before striking out Markakis to end the inning.

The Orioles led 4-0 before Teheran recorded an out. Colby Rasmus walked, Adam Jones doubled and Manny Machado walked before Trumbo hit a drive to center field.

”I think the two walks in the first inning got me in trouble and I couldn’t get out,” Teheran said.

Trumbo took a called third strike from Teheran with the bases loaded in the fifth. Davis followed with his double for a 7-1 lead.

”The bases-loaded double was the big one … that really hurt.” Braves manager Brian Snitker said.

There was a 20-minute rain delay before Hart entered the game in the seventh.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Orioles: Manager Buck Showalter said OF Trey Mancini (stiff neck) needed another day before returning to the lineup. He struck out as a pinch hitter on Friday night and was held out of the lineup for the third straight game.

Braves: Closer Arodys Vizcaino was again unavailable due to a sore right shoulder. He felt more discomfort while throwing in the outfield before the game. Snitker said he hopes Vizcaino feels better on Sunday, but the team could soon face a decision on placing the right-hander on the DL.

BEATING THE BRAVES

The Orioles have won the first two games of the interleague series. Baltimore has won seven straight over Atlanta Valtteri Filppula Jersey , including a three-game sweep at Camden Yards in the teams’ last series in 2015.

ROSTER MOVES

Each team needed a fresh arm in its bullpen following Friday’s night’s 15-inning game. The Orioles recalled Hart, a left-hander, from Triple-A Norfolk. Hart relieved Bundy in the seventh and allowed two runs without recording an out. Infielder Steve Wilkerson was optioned to Norfolk.

The Braves recalled right-hander Lucas Sims from Triple-A Gwinnett and optioned outfielder Preston Tucker to Gwinnett.

UP NEXT

Orioles: RHP David Hess will look to recover after allowing five runs in each of his last two starts against Washington and Boston. He is 0-2 in his last four starts.

Braves: RHP Brandon McCarthy is 2-2 with a 4.28 ERA in 10 career appearances, including eight starts, against Baltimore.

• Ajayi finished withDatum02.11.2018 07:33

Whenever the Cubs come to town James Hurst Jersey , their fans fill the stands at Great American Ball Park and their offense usually carries the day. Not so for the last two.

Eugenio Suarez hit a go-ahead homer off Jose Quintana in the fifth inning, and the Cincinnati Reds held on for their fifth straight victory Friday night, 6-3 over the Cubs .

The Reds have won the first two games in the four-game set, a recent rarity in the rivalry. It’s only the second time in the last two years that they’ve won back-to-back games in a series against Chicago. The Cubs are 43-21 against the Reds over the last four seasons.

Cincinnati’s winning streak is one shy of its season high. The Reds are last in the NL Central at 30-45.

”We’re playing really good baseball right now,” Suarez said . ”When you play like that, good things can happen.”

Suarez’s two-run shot in the fifth inning off Quintana (6-6) gave him a team-high 16 homers and put the Reds ahead 4-3. Billy Hamilton and Joey Votto also singled home runs off Quintana, who had allowed only six earned runs in his last four starts combined.

Quintana hung a changeup on his second pitch to Suarez, who has four homers in his last six games.

”I just missed my spot – a bad pitch,” Quintana said through a translator. ”A bad time to have that happen.”

Suarez also singled twice and extended his hitting streak to a career-high 12 games Michael Pierce Jersey , the longest by a Reds third baseman since Todd Frazier hit in 14 straight in 2014.

Javier Baez drove in a run with a bunt single off Luis Castillo (5-8), and Kyle Schwarber followed with a two-run homer, his third in four games. Castillo went 5 2/3 innings for his first victory since May 24, ending a streak of four straight losses.

Raisel Iglesias retired the side in the ninth for his 12th save in 14 chances.

”That was one of our cleaner ballgames of the season,” interim manager Jim Riggleman said. ”We played a good ballgame – offensively, defensively, ran the bases well, timely hitting.”

Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo went a combined 0 for 8 with three strikeouts as Chicago’s offense struggled again, managing only four hits.

”We’ve played maybe two of our least-impressive games in a month Matt Judon Jersey ,” manager Joe Maddon said. ”It’s just not been us playing our typical game.”

DUENSING BACK

Left-handed reliever Brian Duensing was activated off the bereavement list before the game. He had been gone for four days to attend his grandfather’s funeral. The Cubs optioned right-hander Justin Hancock to Triple-A Iowa.

GREAT GRAB

Cubs reliever Justin Wilson made a diving grab of Jesse Winker’s bunt in the seventh, landing on his chest while stretching for the ball. He was shaken up for a moment but stayed in the game.

STATS

Each of Schwarber’s last three hits has been a home run. Schwarber grew up in nearby Middletown and attended Reds games at Great American. He’s batted .318 in 30 career games against the Reds with nine homers and 25 RBIs.

TOP PICK, FIRST PITCH

Bengals center Billy Price threw a ceremonial pitch pregame, bouncing it to the plate. Price was the Bengals’ top pick in the draft.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Cubs: Yu Darvish could begin a rehab assignment next week. He threw 50 pitches in a simulated game without problem on Wednesday. Darvish has been sidelined since May 23 because of tendinitis in his right triceps.

Reds: Homer Bailey will make a rehab start for Triple-A Louisville on Saturday, throwing between 75 and 90 pitches. Bailey has been sidelined since June 2 with a sore right knee. He’s 1-7 with a 6.68 ERA.

UP NEXT

Cubs: Luke Farrell (2-2) will make his first start of the season after a dozen relief appearances.

Reds: Anthony DeSclafani makes his fourth start. He was sidelined for the first two months with a strained oblique suffered during spring training. DeSclafani is 2-1 with a 4.60 ERA.

Mark Lerner has replaced 92-year-old father Ted Lerner as managing principal owner of the Nationals.

The team announced that Ted Lerner is stepping down and will be succeeded by his son after Major League Baseball approved the move at its quarterly meeting in New York.

Ted Lerner has controlled the Nationals since his family bought the team from MLB in 2006, the year after the team moved from Montreal. The real estate magnate says owning a team in his hometown was always a dream and he knew his son eventually would run the club.

The 64-year-old son assumes the leading ownership role about a year after his left leg was amputated because of cancer. He says it’s special for his parents to see him take control of the franchise.

• Chester Rogers JerseyDatum30.10.2018 03:30

Gorkys Hernandez is hitting for power Wayne Gretzky Jersey , grinding through long at-bats and moving baserunners with timely bunts – and his teammates are taking notice.

Hernandez drew a go-ahead, bases-loaded walk in the eighth inning after his earlier solo home run, and the San Francisco Giants beat the Colorado Rockies 3-2 on Tuesday night.

”We’re going to be talking about him for a while,” Giants starter Derek Holland said of Hernandez. ”He’s been doing outstanding this year, he’s been a huge part of this team.”

Tom Murphy doubled to start the ninth for the Rockies on a hit that sliding Hernandez couldn’t secure in center field, and the ball kicked back toward the infield. San Francisco left third base uncovered, but despite base coach Stu Cole wildly gesturing, Murphy never looked up and stopped at second. DJ LeMahieu wound up grounding into a game-ending double play that was confirmed on replay.

”There’s a lot of chaos going on at that point. Rarely do you see that type of situation occur where you have three guys covering second base,” Rockies manager Bud Black said. ”Pitcher, third baseman, first baseman end up going over there.”

Tony Watson (2-2) recorded the final out of the eighth before Sam Dyson closed out Colorado for his third save.

The Giants loaded the bases in the eighth against Adam Ottavino (3-1), whose scoreless streak ended at 15 innings with his first run allowed since May 8 at home against the Angels.

Andrew McCutchen had a go-ahead sacrifice fly in the seventh inning before the Rockies tied it at 2 on Ian Desmond’s two-out double in the eighth off Mark Melancon.

Austin Slater and pinch-hitter Hunter Pence had consecutive singles to start the seventh before advancing on a sacrifice bunt by Hernandez, who homered to tie it in the third. Rockies starter Chad Bettis intentionally walked Buster Posey to load the bases for McCutchen, and Ottavino relieved and gave up the go-ahead run. Slater just beat center fielder Gerardo Parra’s throw to the plate.

Bettis gave up two runs and six hits in a 6 1/3 innings Cheap Customized Philadelphia Eagles Jerseys , struck out four and walked four.

He had allowed five or more runs in his previous five starts but hadn’t lost, a streak that is tied for the longest in major league history with Rube Walberg from June 1-18, 1932. All of Bettis’ decisions have come away from Coors Field.

Desmond hit a one-out solo homer in the second to put Colorado ahead before Hernandez tied it.

Four of Hernandez’s 10 home runs have come against the Rockies. His previous career high was three, and he didn’t hit any last year.

”It feels great, last year having nothing (homers) to this year having 10,” he said.

Following the Giants’ first day off since June 7, Brandon Crawford had three hits and scored the deciding run on the walk by Hernandez after a one-out single and steal of second.

San Francisco improved to 6-2 on its current homestand.

”We’ve been playing better,” manager Bruce Bochy said. ”Hopefully we can build on this, and we’re going to have to.”

Holland matched his season high with eight strikeouts while pitching a season-long 6 2/3 innings. Looking to win back-to-back outings for the first time in 2018, the lefty settled for a no-decision. He allowed six hits, the one earned run and walked two.

Three intentional walks by Colorado pitchers were the team’s most since three on June 24, 2016, against Arizona.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Rockies: LHP Mike Dunn (upper back strain) and RHP Scott Oberg (back strain) each responded well from rehab outings with Class A Modesto – both pitchers struck out two with a walk in a scoreless inning – and were set to play catch Tuesday. ”They’re healthy,” Black said. ”I think they’ve checked off a couple boxes health-wise. We have some decisions to make.”

Giants: RHP Jeff Samardzija was tagged for five runs in the first inning and six in all of his rehab start for Triple-A Sacramento at Albuquerque as he works back from tightness in his pitching shoulder. Samardzija allowed seven hits in four innings with six strikeouts Cheap Customized Pittsburgh Steelers Jerseys , two walks and a pair of home runs. … RHP Johnny Cueto (right elbow sprain) is set to pitch for Sacramento on Friday, throwing up to 70 pitches. … 3B Evan Longoria is underway with his initial rehab work following surgery for a fractured left hand. There is still no timeline change from the initial indication of six to eight weeks, Bochy said.

UP NEXT

Rockies: LHP Kyle Freeland (7-6, 3.55 ERA) makes his 10th road start out of 16 2018 outings and is 2-0 with a 3.00 ERA in two appearances against the Giants this year.

Giants: LHP Madison Bumgarner (1-2, 3.20) makes his fifth start of 2018 needing one strikeout for No. 1,500 of his career – and playing in his 239th career game would become the fourth-fastest lefty to accomplish the feat in the live-ball era, according to STATS.

Oakland offensive coordinator Greg Olson was quite clear about what the top priority will be for coach Jon Gruden’s new staff with the Raiders.

Everything from the smallest details like how practice is conducted to bigger decisions about personnel and scheme will be made with the thought of how it will help Derek Carr develop into a top-flight NFL quarterback.

”We grow as Derek Carr grows,” Olson said Wednesday. ”We drafted this guy to be that franchise quarterback. We feel like he has the potential to be that guy that can be here and play for 10 more years. It’s up to us to try and get that out of him. We’ll do everything in our power to make sure that that happens, from practice to offseason programs, to what we’re doing defensively in practice, all those things will be designed to help Derek’s growth.”

Carr showed steady improvement from his spotty play as a rookie in 2014 when Olson served his first stint as offensive coordinator in Oakland to a breakthrough 2016 season under Bill Musgrave that garnered him MVP support and helped him earn a $125 million, five-year contract extension.

That steady ascension hit a speed bump last season as Carr played under his third coordinator in four years after Todd Downing replaced the fired Musgrave. Carr matched his career high with 13 interceptions and recorded his worst totals in yards, touchdowns and passer rating since his rookie year.

”This guy has to get some continuity,” Olson said. ”The fact that they signed Jon Gruden to a 10-year contract Cheap Customized San Francisco 49ers Jerseys , that’s going to provide that stability that he needs and the continuity that he’s going to need. He’s going to be in a system now. He’s going to be coached by a head coach that’s going to be the play-caller. He’s completely hands on with the quarterback position, and that’s the first time Derek will have, first time he’s going to have an offensive head coach that has a quarterback background and will be hands on with him on a day-to-day basis. I just see that growth curve skyrocketing because of that.”

Olson and new defensive coordinator Paul Guenther spoke to the media for the first time since officially joining Gruden’s staff last week. Both coaches have ties to Gruden, with Olson having worked as Gruden’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in Tampa Bay in 2008 and Guenther considering Gruden’s younger brother, Jay, one of his closest friends after spending three years together as assistants in Cincinnati.

The two coordinators had talked to Jon Gruden over the years about the possibility of being on his staff if Gruden ever decided to return to coaching and leaped at the chance soon after Gruden returned to the Raiders.

”Cincinnati made a strong push to keep me there, but the opportunity to come out here with Jon and start this thing from the ground up was way too intriguing,” Guenther said. ”I just looked at it as an opportunity I couldn’t refuse.”

Guenther will be tasked with rebuilding a defense that struggled the past two seasons, leading to the midseason firing of coordinator Ken Norton Jr. The Raiders improved a bit in the final six games under John Pagano but didn’t make nearly enough impactful plays despite the presence of 2016 AP Defensive Player of the Year Khalil Mack.

The Raiders lacked enough consistent pass rushers and the secondary got picked apart at times with rookies Gareon Conley and Obi Melifonwu missing almost the entire season with injuries.

Guenther called Conley his ”favorite” cornerback in last year’s draft and believes the pieces are in place starting with Mack to build a capable defense.

”Having a talent like that and ability of a guy like that, certainly you want to make it the centerpiece of the defense,” he said. ”We have to continue to develop our younger players to bring those guys up to speed and add people as we go through the draft and free agency. He’s a guy that you can really build a foundation through and around. He’s an exciting guy to be able to coach for sure.”

NOTES: Guenther called NaVorro Bowman a ”prototypical” middle linebacker and hopes he doesn’t leave in free agency. … Olson was noncommittal about the status of RB Marshawn Lynch, saying he would be doing him a ”disservice” by evaluating his play in 2017 before taking a more thorough look at the film.

• Chester Rogers JerseyDatum30.10.2018 03:22

TORONTO — The Detroit Tigers will start a former Toronto Blue Jays left-hander Saturday afternoon for the second game in a row in another attempt to end a losing streak that has reached 10 games.

Former Blue Jays left-hander Francisco Liriano could not do the job Friday night — allowing three runs in six innings — as the Blue Jays defeated the Tigers 3-2 in the opener of a four-game series at the Rogers Centre.

This time Buccaneers Cheap Jerseys , the former Blue Jay is Matt Boyd (4-6, 4.15 ERA), who will face Toronto right-hander Sam Gaviglio (2-2, 3.98) in the second game of the series.

The Tigers (36-47), who are 13-26 on the road, have lost 10 games in a row for the first time since Sept. 13-22, 2003, the season in which they lost 119 games.

“We had some opportunities, but it’s the same story,” Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire said. “You pitch really good and you don’t score, or you don’t pitch good enough and it just extends on. The guys are really trying, they’re bothered out there and they’re frustrated. They want to win, the guys are really pushing hard in the dugout, but it’s just not happening right now.”

The Tigers have lost 11 of their past 13 games in Toronto.

The Blue Jays (38-43), who were returning from a 3-4 road trip that easily could have been better, have won nine of their past 10 home games. They are 21-20 at home.

Boyd took the loss Sunday at Cleveland when he allowed six runs, eight hits and two walks while striking out five in three innings.

The start Saturday will be his 16th of the season.

In four career starts against the Blue Jays Customized Chicago Bears Jerseys , Boyd is 0-1 with a 4.24 ERA. He did not factor in the decision June 2 against Toronto at Comerica Park when he gave up four runs, six hits and two walks in seven innings. He struck out three.

Boyd, who was sent to the Tigers July 30, 2015, as part of the trade that sent David Price to the Blue Jays, is 0-3 with an 8.66 ERA in four career starts at the Rogers Centre.

Gaviglio will be making his 10th appearance and eighth start of the season.

In his past three starts, he is 0-1 with a 7.50 ERA and has pitched only 12 innings.

He has faced the Tigers once in his career, allowing two runs in five innings in a no decision.

The Tigers have been outscored 64-26 during their losing streak.

Before the game Friday, the Blue Jays selected the contract of utility player Darnell Sweeney from Triple-A Buffalo. He was batting .232 with six homers and 21 RBIs in 47 games. He has played all infield positions except first base, both corner outfield positions and also pitched a scoreless inning.

Sweeney takes the roster spot of outfielder Steve Pearce, who was traded Thursday night to the Boston Red Sox for shortstop Santiago Espinal, who will play at Class A Dunedin.

Moving Pearce means that Kendrys Morales will again see regular use as the designated hitter and breaks up a logjam in the outfield. The Blue Jays return to four outfielders with Teoscar Hernandez, Randal Grichuk, Kevin Pillar and Curtis Granderson.

Espinal, 23, batted .313 with seven homers and 32 RBIs in 65 games with Class A Salem in the Red Sox organization.

“Middle-of-the-diamond players, you can’t have enough of them Authentic Keke Coutee Jersey ,” Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins said Friday. “The athleticism, that’s where it all begins. If you can play in the middle, you can often play anywhere else, so that’s first and foremost. (Espinal) is an above-average runner and performing well at a decent level, so there’s plenty to like.”

Billy Connors, a three-time New York Yankees pitching coach and confidant of late owner George Steinbrenner, has died. He was 76.

The Yankees said Wednesday that Connors died Saturday. The team held a moment of silence before their game Wednesday night against the Seattle Mariners at Yankee Stadium.

”A close and trusted friend of my family for many years,” Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner said in a statement. ”Billy contributed to the organization in countless ways over his long career as a pitching coach, executive and advisor.”

Connors coached the Yankees from 1989-90, 1994-95 and 2000, and was vice president of player personnel from 1996-2012. He was instrumental in the development of Yankees pitchers Orlando Hernandez, Andy Pettitte, Chien-Ming Wang and Mariano Rivera.

Steinbrenner and Connors would go over pitching plans not only at the team’s spring training complex in Tampa, Florida, but also while regularly watching Tampa Bay Lightning hockey games in the Boss’ suite.

A native of Schenectady, New York, Connors played baseball and basketball at Syracuse and was member of the Schenectady team that won the Little League World Series in 1954.

Connors spent three seasons in the major leagues Authentic Quenton Nelson Jersey , starting with the Cubs in 1966 and then with the New York Mets the following two years. He was 0-2 with a 7.53 ERA in one start and 25 relief appearances.

Connors became a Mets batting practice pitcher in 1971 and was a minor league pitching instructor for New York from 1972-76. He spent 17 years in the big leagues as a pitching coach, working for the Chicago Cubs from 1982-86, and also spent time with Kansas City and Seattle.

He was with the Cubs when they won the NL East championship in 1984, the teams’ first postseason trip since winning the 1945 NL pennant. Rick Sutcliffe, acquired in a mid-season trade from Cleveland, went 16-1 to capture the NL Cy Young Award.

Connors also helped the Royals win the 1980 AL pennant.

Former Yankees pitcher Jim Abbott shared a story about Connors’ on Twitter.

”Sadly, our family once lost a beloved dog in an accident,” Abbott wrote. ”I was with the Yankees and on the road in Anaheim when it happened. Our pitching coach, Billy Connors, told me I needed to be at the ballpark early the next day. I arrived to the Yankee clubhouse to find the cutest brown and white Springer Spaniel, ribbon around its neck, frolicking with the players. Billy with a smile on his face. He had driven around Southern CA all morning in search of this puppy. We lived with `Billy’ the Springer Spaniel for 12 years, never forgetting the smile on Billy’s face that day in Anaheim.”

Hall of Fame pitcher Greg Maddux, at his induction ceremony, discussed the important role Connors played in his career. Atlanta scout Tom ”T-Bone” Giordano scouted Connors as a high school player and the pair became long-time friends.

”Lost a dear friend and a heck of guy,” the 92-year-old Giordano said. ”A great baseball man.”

• Demarcus Lawrence JerseyDatum30.10.2018 03:15

Sandy Alcantara was one of the key prospects the Miami Marlins acquired in their offseason overhaul Youth Brian Allen Jersey , and he showed plenty of promise in his first career start.

The 22-year old right-hander made his much-anticipated Marlins debut and allowed just one run over five innings as the Miami Marlins defeated the New York Mets 8-2 on Friday night.

”It feels really good,” Alcantara said. ”I’m super excited.”

Alcantara (1-0) struck out two and gave up five walks and three hits.

”A little bit wild, a little bit of trouble with the strike zone, but being able to get through five – he’s still a work in progress,” Marlins manager Don Mattingly said.

The 22-year old right-hander was the top prospect acquired in the offseason trade that sent Marcell Ozuna to the St. Louis Cardinals. Alcantara made eight relief appearances for the Cardinals last season.

”(Alcantara) has a very promising future,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said.

JT Riddle hit a three-run homer and Lewis Brinson, who had three hits, also homered in a pivotal six-run third inning.

”JT able to hit that just kind of breaks it open from there and we’re in pretty good shape,” Mattingly said

Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto returned to the lineup after missing four games with a hand injury. Realmuto went 1 of 4 with an RBI and also picked off a runner at second base.

”It’s one of the reasons why he’s the best catcher in all of baseball,” Riddle said of Realmuto’s pickoff. ”To do stuff like that, a lot of people don’t do that and for a catcher to be able to do that defensively plus the way he swings the bat, it’s very good.”

New York’s Corey Oswalt (0-1) started in place of Jacob deGrom, who was scratched hours before the game to deal with a family matter. The Mets expect deGrom to start Saturday afternoon.

Oswalt looked nothing like deGrom, whose 1.69 ERA is the best in the majors. Oswalt allowed six hits and six runs in just 2 2/3 innings. All six of the runs Oswalt allowed came in the third inning.

”It didn’t change anything,” Oswalt said of the late notice. ”I went out there and tried to attack the zone. I just didn’t make enough pitches today.”

Brinson led off the third with his 10th home run of the season. Realmuto and Starlin Castro followed with run-scoring singles before Riddle’s three-run blast to right field gave the Marlins a 6-0 lead.

Devin Mesoraco had an RBI double for the Mets, who have lost nine of 10.

”We weren’t really in this game tonight,” Callaway said.

Cameron Maybin knocked in Brinson in the sixth to give the Marlins a 7-1 lead.

BRINSON A TRIPLE SHY OF CYCLE

Brinson recorded a single, double, and home run for his third game this month with at least three hits. He grounded into a double play in his fourth at-bat to foil his attempt for the cycle.

BAUTISTA AND FLORES MAKE IT 14 STRAIGHT

New York’s Jose Bautista and Wilmer Flores each reached base each extending their streaks to 14 games.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Mets: LHP Jason Vargas (calf) is expected to rejoin the rotation next week. … OF Yoenis Cespedes (hip) remained in Port St. Lucie, Florida Youth John Kelly Jersey , rather than joining the team for this series. Cespedes will continue to receive treatment and physical therapy.

Marlins: LHP Caleb Smith (lat) will have season-ending surgery. Smith finishes his rookie season with a 5-6 record and 4.19 ERA with 88 strikeouts.

UP NEXT

Mets: RHP Jacob deGrom (5-3, 1.69 ERA) is expected to return to the team and start the second game of the series.

Marlins: RHP Pablo Lopez is slated to make his MLB debut.

Clayton Kershaw is set to make a surprise return from the disabled list Saturday night, starting for the Los Angeles Dodgers in a marquee matchup against New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom.

Kershaw has been sidelined since June 1 with a lower back strain. The three-time Cy Young Award winner and 2014 NL MVP originally was scheduled to make a rehab start Saturday with Triple-A Oklahoma City at Omaha, but heavy rain in the forecast caused the Dodgers to change plans.

”It’s probably the best thing for him and for us,” manager Dave Roberts said Friday. ”We don’t know how much he’s going to pitch. I don’t want to put a limit on him. Obviously, there is a limitation with Clayton, and I’ll make that decision.”

Roberts said rookie Caleb Ferguson (0-1, 7.59 ERA) will be ready in reserve. The 21-year-old left-hander had been slated to make his fourth major league start Saturday.

There’s rain in the New York forecast as well, but Roberts said the Dodgers took all that into account.

”From what I understand it’s going to be early and if there’s a delay, we have ample time to get him ready. But obviously, we’re not going to do anything to put him in harm’s way,” Roberts said. ”If there is something where we are shut down, having Caleb behind him, we have that coverage. So we can kind of combat that.”

Before the switch, Roberts had said Kershaw would throw no more than four innings and 60 pitches for Oklahoma City.

The 30-year-old Kershaw is 1-4 with a 2.76 ERA in eight starts this year for the defending NL champions, who have been riddled by injuries.

He was out for nearly a month with left biceps tendinitis before returning May 31 against Philadelphia. He pitched five effective innings in a no-decision against the Phillies, and then went back on the disabled list the next day with the back injury.

The ace left-hander threw a three-inning simulated Monday at Wrigley Field in Chicago and said he felt really good. The next day, Roberts said Kershaw returning against the Mets this weekend was considered, but the team opted for a minor league start to give him ”the best chance for success and health.”

Kershaw, a seven-time All-Star Womens Anze Kopitar Jersey , missed about five weeks last season with a similar back problem.

Roberts acknowledged that Kershaw lobbied to pitch at Citi Field this weekend, rather than in the minors.

”He did play a little weather man, so with weather.com and Clayton, we were pretty abreast with the weather in Omaha,” Roberts said with a chuckle.

”Just the way he’s responded to all the tests and to get him with us, the weather over there in Omaha, we feel comfortable and confident,” the manager added.

Rich Hill will start Sunday for the Dodgers, followed by Kenta Maeda at home Monday against the Cubs.

In other injury-related news, shortstop Chris Taylor was out of the lineup because of a tight left hamstring. Enrique Hernandez started in place of Taylor, who exited Wednesday’s game in Chicago against the Cubs. He was available off the bench – probably just to hit, Roberts said.

”We’ll give him today and we’ll see about tomorrow,” he added.

Backup infielder Chase Utley was reinstated from the 10-day disabled list after missing 19 games with a sprained left thumb. A longtime New York nemesis and villain to Mets fans, Utley was on the bench for the series opener. He was batting .216 with a home run and 14 RBIs this season.

Utley has excelled as a pinch hitter, going 7 for 17 (.412) with five RBIs and two extra-base hits.

Los Angeles opened a roster spot for him by optioning catcher-infielder Kyle Farmer to Oklahoma City on Wednesday.

Rookie right-hander Walker Buehler is scheduled to throw 20 to 30 pitches in a bullpen session Saturday, the next step in his comeback from a right rib microfracture. He could return to the rotation without a minor league rehab assignment, Roberts said.

Rated one of baseball’s top pitching prospects, Buehler is 4-1 with a 2.63 ERA in nine big league starts.

• Ajayi finished withDatum30.10.2018 03:08

Ozzie Albies watched the ball sail into the right-field seats and savored the moment.

”It feels great Luke Kuechly Jersey ,” he said. ”I just see the ball going and I just enjoyed it.”

Albies hit a grand slam and Freddie Freeman homered during a six-run sixth inning, and the Atlanta Braves beat the reeling New York Mets 8-2 on Tuesday night.

Braves starter Mike Foltynewicz pitched five scoreless innings, allowing two hits and striking out six, but left the game after batting in the fifth with triceps tightness. He told reporters that ”it’s nothing to worry about” and that he’ll make his next scheduled start.

Ender Inciarte added a pair of RBI singles to help Atlanta shake a rough West Coast trip, when it lost four of six. The Braves moved ahead of Washington for first in the NL East by beating a Mets team that has lost nine of 10 and 16 of 20

The Braves led 1-0 in the fourth on Inciarte’s RBI single. New York went up 2-1 in the sixth on Jay Bruce’s two-run ground-rule double, but that was it for the Mets, who have scored 10 runs in their last 78 innings.

Freeman’s 13th homer in the bottom half of the inning tied it, and Inciarte’s single put the Braves ahead for good. A walk to pinch-hitter Preston Tucker loaded the bases and chased starter Zack Wheeler (2-5), and Albies cleared the bases with his 16th homer, coming off Paul Sewald, for a 7-2 lead.

Albies is the first player 21 or younger to hit multiple grand slams in a season since Adrian Beltre hit two for the Dodgers in 2000. He’s the second Braves second baseman with two grand slams in a season, joining Davey Johnson in 1973.

Albies, the NL leader in extra-base hits and runs, had been scuffling with a .125 average since June 1.

”The last two games he’s had some really good at-bats,” Atlanta manager Brian Snitker said. ”You know what he’s capable of. He’s a dynamic young man.”

Shane Carle (4-1) faced just one batter to get the win. Devin Mesoraco grounded sharply to third baseman Johan Camargo Wes Horton Jersey , who lunged to his right to tag Asdrubal Cabrera and made a low throw from his knees that Freeman dug out at first for a double play.

Wheeler allowed eight hits, six runs, four walks and struck out two in 5 2/3 innings.

Foltynewicz, who pitched his first career complete game in his last home start, hit the first batter Tuesday before retiring 13 straight. Mesoraco and Dominic Smith each singled with one out in the top of the fifth, but Foltynewicz escaped trouble with a pair of popups.

Braves pitching coach Chuck Hernandez noticed Foltynewicz was uncomfortable, shaking his right arm after making a pitch. After Foltynewicz acknowledged the triceps were tight, Snitker decided to take him out.

TAKE A SEAT

Mickey Callaway was ejected for the first time as Mets manager after arguing with home plate umpire Stu Scheurwater in the top of the sixth. Brandon Nimmo was hit by Jesse Biddle’s pitch on his elbow, but Scheurwater ruled he did not attempt to get out of the way and declined to award Nimmo first base. Callaway was thrown out while standing near the right-hand side of the batter’s box. ”Obviously they thought Nim put his elbow out in front of the plate to get hit on purpose, but the ball was in the batter’s box, kind of at our player,” Callaway said.

ADDING ON

Nick Markakis went 3 for 4 and added an RBI double in the seventh to make it 8-2. … Freeman improved to 8 for 16 with 10 walks against Wheeler. … New York’s bullpen has a 6.68 ERA in its last 17 games. … Smith, in his first major league game this season, went 1 for 3 with two strikeouts.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Mets: Cabrera was back in the lineup, going 0 for 4 after leaving Sunday’s win over the Yankees in the third inning with left hamstring tightness. Callaway said he will likely give Cabrera an off day with a 12:10 p.m. start on Wednesday.

Braves: LF Ronald Acuna Jr. is hitting off a tee Stephen Curry Jersey , swinging in the batting cage and running, but has yet to resume what manager vigorous baseball activities. It will be Thursday, at the earliest, before the 20-year-old begins a rehab assignment. Acuna, sidelined 14 games with a left ACL sprain and bruises to his left knee and lower back, said through a translator that he feels no pain when he runs, swings and throws.

UP NEXT

Mets: RHP Jacob deGrom (4-1, 1.57 ERA) leads the majors since April 21 with a 0.81 ERA – a span of nine starts and 55 1/3 innings – but New York has lost his past four outings. He is 5-3 with a 1.84 ERA in 14 career starts against Atlanta.

Braves: Snitker said RHP Mike Soroka will be on a 90-pitch limit while returning from a shoulder strain that’s sidelined him since May 12. Soroka made his first career start May 1, allowing six hits and one run in six innings to beat the Mets in New York.

The Latest on a suspected drunken-driving crash that killed Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and another man (all times local):

5 p.m.

A man being held in a suspected drunken-driving crash that killed Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and his Uber driver had a blood-alcohol level nearly three times Indiana’s legal limit immediately after Sunday’s deadly crash.

A probable cause affidavit filed Sunday in Marion Superior Court under the first name Manuel Orrego-Savala gave police states that a breath test administered at the scene found the 37-year-old man’s blood-alcohol content was 0.239 percent. Indiana’s legal limit is 0.08 percent.

Two vials of blood were later drawn from Orrego-Savala for testing. He remains jailed and prosecutors are weighing potential criminal charges against him in the crash that killed the 26-year-old Jackson and Jeffrey Monroe of Avon, Indiana.

State Police say Orrego-Savala is a citizen of Guatemala who’s been deported twice from the U.S.

2:25 p.m.

An Indiana congressman says ”all Americans” should be angry that a suspected drunken-driving crash which killed Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson was allegedly caused by a man police say has been twice deported from the U.S.

Republican Rep. Todd Rokita tweeted Monday about Sunday’s crash that killed the 26-year-old Jackson and his Uber driver, Jeffrey Monroe of Avon, Indiana, saying ”this news should make all Americans angry.”

Monroe was transporting Jackson for the ride-hailing company when police say he stopped along Interstate 70 after Jackson became ill.

Both men were standing outside Monroe’s car when police say a pickup truck driven by 37-year-old Manuel Orrego-Savala struck and killed them.

Police say he’s a citizen of Guatemala who was deported in 2007 and 2009. He has not been charged in the crash.

11:23 a.m.

Police say a man being held in a suspected drunken driving crash that killed Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson has twice been deported from the U.S.

Indiana State Police said Monday that 37-year-old Manuel Orrego-Savala is a citizen of Guatemala and gave officers a fake name following the Sunday accident.

Investigators say he’s in U.S. illegally and was deported in 2007 and 2009. He remained in the Marion County Jail on Monday.

Police say the 26-year-old Jackson and 54-year-old Jeffrey Monroe were standing outside their car along Interstate 70 in Indianapolis when they were hit and killed by a pickup truck being driven by Orrego-Savala.

Police say they believe Orrego-Savala was intoxicated and driving without a license. Police say they’re working with prosecutors on potential criminal charges.

• Ajayi finished withDatum30.10.2018 03:01

Nick Martini picked a perfect time – and place – for his first major league hit.

Pinch hitting Authentic Minkah Fitzpatrick Jersey , Martini drove in the tiebreaking run in the eighth inning with full-count single up the middle and the Oakland Athletics came back from an early five-run deficit to edge the Chicago White Sox 7-6 on Saturday.

Martini, recalled from Triple-A before the game, battled through the eight-pitch at-bat and lined his hit off Juan Minaya (0-2) with two outs to center to score Stephen Piscotty from second. Piscotty reached on a double when right fielder Avisail Garcia lost his routine fly in the sun.

Martini is from Crystal Lake, Illinois, a Chicago suburb about 45 miles northwest of Guaranteed Rate Field. Although the 27-year-old outfielder says he followed the crosstown Cubs as a kid, coming through on the South Side suited him just fine.

”It’s hard to describe,” said Martini who played in front of a contingent of family members and friends. ”To get it here in my backyard was definitely special and I was super excited.”

Martini was called up by the A’s for three games earlier this month, but the 27-year-old outfielder was hitless in nine at-bats.

Piscotty launched a two-run drive and Matt Olson hit a solo shot as the Athletics homered in their 24th consecutive road game, tying a modern day record set by Baltimore in 1996. Olson’s homer was his 17th and third in four games.

”Who knows why, but we’re definitely in a groove right now,” Piscotty said. ”I felt like the way our offense has been, (coming back) wasn’t too daunting a task.”

Lou Trivino (5-1), the A’s fourth reliever, pitched 1 2/3 innings and struck out four. Blake Treinen got the last five outs for his 17th save as Oakland hung on for its sixth victory in seven games despite committing two errors in the ninth.

Tim Anderson hit his 13th homer, a three-run shot on his 25th birthday, that capped Chicago’s five-run first inning burst. The White Sox have lost nine of 10.

Both starters exited early with injuries.

Oakland’s Daniel Mengden was roughed up for the fourth straight outing, allowing five runs and five hits before a sprained right foot forced him to leave after two innings. The right-hander, who is 0-2 with an 11.57 ERA over 16 1/3 innings in June, said the foot has bothered him over his past few starts.

Although he appeared to be cruising with a 5-2 lead, White Sox starter Dylan Covey was pulled due to right hip soreness with no outs in the fifth when Oakland scored three times to tie it at 5. Manager Rick Renteria called the move precautionary and said the team would know more on Sunday.

Coved said his hip ”felt funny” as he left the field after four innings.

”I could feel it in my (fifth inning) warmups,” Covey said ”My drag leg was not really painful, but nagging me. I was bracing every pitch for something. It was affecting the quality of my pitches.”

Covey Authentic Mike Hughes Jersey , who was charged with four runs, left after walking Matt Joyce to start the inning and reaching a 2-1 count on Jonathan Lucroy. Chris Volstad completed the walk to Lucroy, then gave up a single to Franklin Barreto, a sacrifice fly to Dustin Fowler and Jed Lowrie’s two-run double.

Piscotty’s homer in the second made it 5-2. After Oakland tied it, Olson’s homer leading off the sixth put the A’s ahead 6-5.

Yoan Moncada grounded into a force at second with the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth to push in a run to tie it at 6.

ROSTER MOVES

Martini was recalled from Triple-A Nashville on Saturday, and right-handed pitcher Chris Bassitt and left-hander Danny Coulombe were optioned.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Athletics: Manager Bob Melvin said LHP Ryan Buchter (strained left shoulder) will be activated on Monday at Detroit. . Melvin had no timetable or plan for Mengden, but said the right-hander’s current injury isn’t related to previous surgery.

White Sox: RHP Miguel Gonzalez (right rotator cuff inflammation) is expected to throw three innings in a rehab start Sunday at Triple-A Charlotte. Gonzalez, who was 0-3 with a 12.41 in three starts in April, said he expects to make three or four starts on the rehab assignment. . Renteria said OF Nicky Delmonico (broken finger on right hand) is getting ready to start hitting off a tee.

UP NEXT

Athletics RHP Paul Blackburn (1-1, 8.03) faces White Sox LHP Carlos Rodon (0-2, 4.41) on Sunday in the series finale. Both Blackburn and Rodon will make their fourth starts since returning from the DL.

OAKLAND, Calif. — Having dipped into the minor leagues for four new players Friday, the Los Angeles Angels plan to do so again Saturday for their starting pitcher when they go for a second straight win against the Oakland Athletics.

The Angels are planning to promote left-hander John Lamb for his first major-league start since 2016, matching him against A’s lefty Sean Manaea (5-6, 3.49 ERA).

Los Angeles placed four players — third baseman Zack Cozart and right-handers Garrett Richards, Nick Tropeano and Jim Johnson — on the disabled list Friday, replacing them with bullpen reinforcements in right-handers Felix Pena, Eduardo Paredes, Jake Jewell and Akeel Morris.

None saw action in Friday’s 8-4 win over Oakland, with left-hander Tyler Skaggs throwing seven strong innings before Cam Bedrosian and Justin Anderson mopped up.

Catcher Jose Briceno, himself a May call-up from the minors, contributed to the Los Angeles offensive attack in the series opener with a double Authentic Marcus Davenport Jersey , two singles and an RBI.

“Nobody is going to feel sorry for you,” Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of a roster that now features 15 players on the DL. “We feel we have the guys who can contribute and keep us going. If we can pitch and have our bullpen hold leads, then we’re going to be fine.”

Lamb has battled back issues in the minors since he last threw a big-league pitch for the Cincinnati Reds on July 16, 2016. He went 2-12 with a 6.17 ERA in 24 starts for the Reds in two seasons.

One of those starts was in Cincinnati against the A’s in 2016, a game in which he gave up two home runs, including one by Marcus Semien, in a 6-1 loss. He is 0-1 with a 9.00 ERA in his career against Oakland based solely on that one appearance.

The A’s had to make an 11th-hour pitching change of their own, starting Manaea in place of Daniel Gossett, who strained his right forearm in his last start.

Manaea hasn’t won since May 14 but pitched well in both of his previous June starts, allowing a total of four runs in 12 2/3 innings.

He matched up with Skaggs, Friday’s winner for the Angels, in the second game of the season back in March, allowing one run in 7 2/3 innings in a 2-1 Oakland loss.

Mike Trout accounted for the only run the Angels scored off Manaea that night with a home run.

Manaea is 1-3 with a 4.30 ERA in seven career starts against the Angels.

Trout’s homer in March was the third of his career against Manaea in just 14 at-bats. He has three other hits, including a triple, among those head-to-heads.

Trout had three hits, all singles, in Friday’s win.

The A’s likely will counter the Angels’ roster move Saturday with one of their own, with third baseman Matt Chapman expected to be placed on the DL with a bruised hand.

Chapman had a 149-game streak of consecutive games played snapped with his absence Friday.

He was replaced at third base in the series opener by Chad Pinder, whose second-inning throwing error led to two unearned runs — two of four the A’s generously gifted the short-handed Angels in the game.

• Malik Hooker JerseyDatum30.10.2018 02:55

CLEVELAND — Cody Allen is one of the least acclaimed yet most productive closers in the major leagues. On Friday night. when the Cleveland Indians open a three-game series with the Oakland A’s Authentic Kyzir White Jersey , Allen will be in uniform at Progressive Field for the first time as the Indians’ career saves leader.

In pitching the ninth inning of a 3-2 Cleveland win in Kansas City on Wednesday, Allen posted his 140th career save, breaking Bob Wickman’s franchise record of 139, which had stood since 2006.

“He means so much to all of us,” Cleveland manager Terry Francona said of Allen. “This is a kid who was drafted in the 16th round, but through being a consummate professional, he’s now the Indians’ all-time leader. That’s pretty awesome. It’s a big accomplishment, and he’s not close to being done.”

Allen (2-3, 3.38 ERA) ranks seventh in the American League this year with 18 saves, but his year-in, year-out consistency has been his trademark. He has had at least 30 saves in each of the last three seasons. Only two other closers in the majors can say that: the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Kenley Jansen and Boston’s Craig Kimbrel.

“This is something I’m extremely proud of,” Allen said of passing Wickman as the club’s saves leader. “It’s something I get to hang my hat on for my career. It’s very cool.”

The A’s (48-39) come to Cleveland with nearly the same record as the Indians (48-37), but what a difference a division makes. The first-place Indians lead the AL Central by 11 1/2 games. The A’s are in third in the AL West, 8 1/2 games behind the first-place Houston Astros.

The A’s won two of three games from the Indians last weekend in Oakland. That was part of a longer streak in which the A’s have won eight of their last nine. Since June 16, Oakland is 14-3.

“I think we’re having a lot of fun,” A’s third baseman Matt Chapman told MLB.com, “and no matter what the score is, I don’t think we count ourselves out. There’s no panic in the dugout. We just keep playing our game. We trust that we’re a good team.”

On Friday night, the A’s will send Paul Blackburn (2-2, 6.46 ERA) to the mound. In his last start on June 29 in Oakland, Blackburn baffled the Indians, pitching 6 1/3 scoreless innings and giving up just three hits in a 3-1 victory.

Blackburn has started five major league games this year. In the one against Cleveland, he is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA and an opponents’ batting average of .150. In the other four starts, he’s 1-2 with an 8.83 ERA and an opponents’ batting average of .324. In two career starts against the Indians, Blackburn is 1-0 with a 2.19 ERA.

Cleveland will counter with Carlos Carrasco (8-5, 4.24), who will make his first start since June 16, a 9-3 loss to Minnesota in which he was knocked out of the game in the second inning after getting hit in the right arm by a line drive off the bat of Joe Mauer.

Carrasco was placed on the 10-day disabled list the next day with a right elbow contusion. He made one rehab start at Double-A Akron on June 30, pitching four scoreless innings and giving up one hit with four strikeouts and one walk.

Carrasco’s last legitimate start was his best start of the year, a 4-0 win over the Chicago White Sox on June 11. In that game, he pitched seven scoreless innings and gave up two hits and one walk with 11 strikeouts.

In six career appearances Authentic Kalen Ballage Jersey , including five starts, against Oakland, Carrasco is 3-1 with a 2.61 ERA.

TORONTO — The New York Yankees will open an 11-game road trip in Toronto on Friday, a journey that will take them to the All-Star break.

But the Yankees received some bad news on what was an otherwise a happy Fourth of July.

After the Yankees defeated the Atlanta Braves 6-2 in the rubber match of a three-game series at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday, it was revealed that their superb rookie second baseman Gleyber Torres had a hip strain that will sideline him until at least mid-July.

Torres will be on the disabled list when the Yankees (56-28) open a three-game series against the Toronto Blue Jays (40-46) at the Rogers Centre.

The Yankees will start right-hander Sonny Gray (5-6, 5.44 ERA) against Blue Jays right-hander Sam Gaviglio (2-2, 3.97).

Torres was removed from the game Wednesday during the fourth inning and an MRI showed a strain.

“Any time you’re talking about a groin, a hamstring, quads or a hip — once you have a strain in there, you can punch through it or make it a worse strain,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “So, I think the wise thing is to do this now. Gleyber wants to take a couple of days and work through it, but I think he also understands this is the best thing for him and for us.”

Infielder Tyler Wade will be recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for the game on Friday. After going 3-for-35 (.086) in 13 games with New York early in the season, Wade was demoted to the RailRiders and batted .271/.332/.376 with two homers and 18 RBIs.

Torres is batting .294/.350/.555 in 63 games with 15 homers and 42 RBIs for the Yankees since being called up from Triple-A April 22.

The Blue Jays lost their game Wednesday to the New York Mets 6-3 to split the two-game interleague set. They are 3-3 on the homestand and 23-23 overall at home.

Gray has pitched well at the Rogers Centre, going 2-3 with a 1.88 ERA in seven career starts while pitching for the Yankees and the Oakland Athletics, who traded him to New York during last season.

The 28-year-old is 4-3 with a 2.71 ERA in 11 career starts against Toronto. As a Yankee, he is 1-1 with a 2.96 ERA in five starts against the Blue Jays, and he is 0-0 with a 3.52 ERA in three starts this season.

Gray has lost his past two starts, including Saturday against the Boston Red Sox when he went 2 1/3 innings, his shortest of the season, and allowed six earned runs.

“That was embarrassing for me and I think for everybody in here,” Gray said. “I haven’t beat a lot of teams since I’ve been here. I’ve been bad against the Red Sox, I’ve been bad against a lot of teams. I don’t think one particular team you can say has my number or whatever. I’ve been bad against multiple teams.”

“The good thing about Sonny is, he’s got the equipment to get this right,” Boone said. “He’s got the stuff to be the same pitcher he’s been at times in his career. This guy’s still a dude. He’s got to dig his heels in and it’s on all of us to try and help unlock that.”

Gaviglio has faced the Yankees once in his career, pitching seven scoreless innings against them June 6 in a no decision as New York won 3-0 in 13 innings.

In his most recent start, the 28-year-old allowed three runs, four hits and three walks in seven innings Saturday against the Detroit Tigers but did not factor in the decision. Toronto won the game 4-3 on Justin Smoak’s leadoff homer in the bottom of the ninth inning.

This will be Gaviglio’s 11th appearance and ninth start with Toronto after going 0-0 with a 1.86 ERA in five starts with Triple-A Buffalo.

The Blue Jays made two moves before the game Wednesday, designating right-handed reliever Preston Guilmet for assignment and returning left-hander Tim Mayza on option to Buffalo. Right-handers Luis Santos and Rhiner Cruz were called up from Buffalo. Each had a scoreless relief outing against the Mets.

The Yankees lead the season series 7-3.

• Kevin White JerseyDatum30.10.2018 02:47

It wasn’t the pregame talk about New England.

Or the seemingly weekly distractions that piled up one on top of the other Tarell Basham Jersey , some of them self-created and others the byproduct of circumstances far beyond their control.

The Pittsburgh Steelers spent Monday cleaning out their lockers instead of getting ready for the AFC championship game because they were outplayed and outclassed by Jacksonville in a wild 45-42 loss .

That’s it. That’s all.

”I don’t think (the outside noise) had anything to do with it,” guard David DeCastro said. ”They just made more plays than us. I don’t mean to sound cliche, but I thought we did a great job blocking all that stuff out all year and didn’t make too big a deal of it.”

If anything, the Steelers seemed to thrive off adversity while going 13-4 and earning a second straight AFC North title.

Yet all that swagger, all that confidence eroded over the course of three difficult hours against the Jaguars.

The defense that set a franchise record and led the NFL with 55 sacks couldn’t get a hand on Blake Bortles.

The offense piled up 534 yards, but also committed two turnovers that gift-wrapped Jacksonville 14 points.

Running back Le’Veon Bell stressed there were ”no excuses” heading into the postseason.

And as they met for the last time before the cycle begins anew in March, they didn’t offer any.

Four consecutive playoff berths have yielded zero parades through downtown in mid-February with the Lombardi Trophy in hand.

They’re well aware the issue isn’t talent.

”Every time you don’t win the Super Bowl, it’s a wasted opportunity,” linebacker Vince Williams said.

Asked if he believes the pieces are in place for the current core to take the step that’s proven elusive, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he ”absolutely” does while promising to return for a 15th season.

It’s an assurance that at least will help the Steelers avoid the weeks of ”will he or won’t he” Roethlisberger put the team through while he pondered his future last spring.

”I don’t know about contracts and who’s coming back, but I know the guys up front are,” Roethlisberger said. ”That makes it good for me.”

It just might not make it good for everyone.

A look at what went wrong and what may be in store between now and when the Steelers report for organized team activities in May.

RUN OVER: The Steelers finished fifth in the league in total defense and 10th against the rush, but had issues getting dominated at times. Jacksonville combined to pile up 395 yards on the ground while winning twice at Heinz Field.

”The things that happened this year can’t happen next year,” defensive end Cam Heyward said. ”There are going to be new problems and new things we need to correct, but let’s find a different problem.”

REPLACING RYAN: Pittsburgh linebacker Ryan Shazier’s season and likely his NFL career ended when he suffered a spinal injury against Cincinnati on Dec. 4. He underwent spinal stabilization surgery two days later and his upbeat approach to his recovery (highlighted by the (hash)Shalieve hashtag) gave the Steelers an emotional rallying point.

The business side of the equation, however, will need to be addressed in the offseason. Pittsburgh signed Sean Spence to take Shazier’s place in October, but the defense as a whole struggled at times over the final weeks.

A major priority heading into the draft will be finding a player who can inherit Shazier’s spot in the huddle Ryan Grant Jersey , though Shazier’s role as a leader will be far more difficult to fill.

WHAT ABOUT TODD?: Offensive coordinator Todd Haley has helped Roethlisberger put together the most productive seasons of his potentially Hall of Fame career.

And while the two have never been close, they’ve found enough common ground to help the Steelers and their ”Killer B” offense rank among the most consistently dynamic attacks in the league.

It may be time, however, to move on. The Steelers made a pair of questionable play calls on fourth-and-1 against Jacksonville, both of which ended with Pittsburgh failing to convert.

Throw in Haley’s peripheral involvement in an incident at a bar on New Year’s Eve in which he was injured and Pittsburgh could decide to find someone else to run an offense that includes Roethlisberger, Bell, Antonio Brown, rookie wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Martavis Bryant.

HAPPY RETURNS?: Bell skipped training camp while waiting to sign his one-year, $12 million franchise tender. The Steelers will have a chance to sign him to a long-term deal or franchise him yet again next year, a move that Bell told ESPN would force him to consider retiring or sitting out the entire season.

Bell, who led the NFL in touches this season (404) said Sunday his preference is to remain in Pittsburgh. Bryant, who made an ill-advised trade request in September after returning from a drug suspension, has one year left on his deal and wants to stay in Pittsburgh. Bryant came on late and made a spectacular diving touchdown grab against Jacksonville.

The New York Yankees won’t have All-Star catcher Gary Sanchez for at least a few weeks.

Sanchez was put on the 10-day disabled list Monday because of a strained right groin. Yankees manager Aaron Boone said before New York’s game at Philadelphia that Sanchez is expected to miss up to four weeks with a Grade 1 strain.

Austine Romine replaced Sanchez in the starting lineup.

The Yankees also optioned outfielder Clint Frazier to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and recalled catcher Kyle Higashioka and right-hander Giovanny Gallegos from the minors.

Sanchez was hurt Sunday while running out a double-play grounder at Tampa Bay.

”Gary Sanchez out of your lineup, that’s a big deal,” Boone said. ”But we’ll take the positive out of it. Ro has done a great job obviously this year for us. It’s an opportunity for Higashioka to get up here and hopefully everyone can pick up the slack a little bit in his absence, but we feel like will be OK offensively.”

The 25-year-old Sanchez is hitting .190 with 14 home runs and 41 RBIs, a season after he made the AL All-Star team while batting .278 with 33 homers and 90 RBIs.

Frazier hit .350 in eight games after recently being promoted from the minors. The Yankees have the best record in the majors at 50-25.

• Kevin White JerseyDatum30.10.2018 02:39

The Latest on the aftermath of the Philadelphia Eagles’ parade (all times local):

5:10 p.m.

Philadelphia officials are apologizing to fans who had their view of the Eagles’ parade blocked by an accordion bus carrying police officers.

The city on Friday responded via Twitter to an image showing the elongated bus stop right in front of a group of people as the parade passed by.

Angry Eagles fans wrote on the social media site that they stood for hours in the cold on Thursday only to have the moment they were waiting for blocked by the buses. Others posted videos of the incident .

The city’s Twitter account says the parade was a ”fluid situation” and that officials’ first concern always is public safety.

Hundreds of thousands of fans celebrated the Eagles’ first Super Bowl title during the hours-long parade.

12:00 p.m.

Philadelphia officials say two people were stabbed Dante Pettis Color Rush Jersey , an officer was assaulted and four police vehicles sustained minor damage during the Eagles’ Super Bowl parade.

Philadelphia Police Department Commissioner Richard Ross on Friday said there was some ”small hiccups,” including two arrests, in a relatively peaceful celebration Thursday of the Eagles’ first Super Bowl title. He says both stabbing victims survived and that the two arrests were for assaults.

Officials also said a Jumbotron was toppled when fans climbed it.

Crews on Friday are picking up trash left behind by fans who watched the team travel in open-top double decker buses from their stadium to the art museum steps made famous in the ”Rocky” movies.

The Eagles defeated the New England Patriots 41-33 Sunday.

6:30 a.m.

Philadelphia is cleaning up the streets one day after hundreds of thousands celebrated the Eagles’ Super Bowl victory with a parade.

Crews on Friday are picking up trash left behind as fans watched the team travel in open-top double decker buses Thursday from their stadium to the art museum steps made famous in the ”Rocky” movies.

Coach Doug Pederson walked part of the route while carrying the Lombardi Trophy, allowing fans to touch the gleaming hardware.

Looking more like a genie in a Mummer’s outfit than a football player, center Jason Kelce gave voice to every frustrated Philly fan with an impassioned and profane speech.

Until Sunday’s 41-33 victory over the favored New England Patriots, the Eagles remained the only team in their division without a Super Bowl title.

Dutch Rennert, a National League umpire from 1973 to 1992 who was known for his animated, booming strike calls, has died. He was 88.

St. John’s Family Funeral Home and Crematory in St. Augustine, Florida, confirmed Monday night that Rennert died on Sunday. A cause of death wasn’t given.

Laurence ”Dutch” Rennert Jr. was a longtime minor league umpire before his promotion to the National League in 1973. He worked 2,693 regular-season games plus six NL Championship Series Vita Vea Color Rush Jersey , three World Series, in 1980, ’83 and ’89, and two All-Star Games.

Respected by players, Rennert was known for his distinctive strike calls. He would step back from the catcher, turn toward one dugout in a crouch or on one knee, extend his right arm and often yell loud enough to be heard on a television or radio broadcast.

He was so recognizable behind the plate that plenty of fans even enjoyed mimicking him at times.

Rennert was born on June 12, 1930, in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

• Carolina Panthers Elite JerseysDatum30.10.2018 02:32

Former San Diego Chargers head coach Mike McCoy has been hired as offensive coordinator at Arizona and Al Holcomb is following new Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks from Carolina to be defensive coordinator.

The Cardinals also hired Jeff Rodgers as special teams coordinator. The three hires were announced Friday Authentic Mitchell Marner Jersey , just four days after Wilks was hired to replace Bruce Arians, who retired after a franchise-record 50 victories in his five seasons in the desert.

McCoy was offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos for five seasons (2009-12 and again in 2017). He was head coach of the Chargers from 2013 to 2016.

Holcomb was linebackers coach of the Panthers for the past five seasons. Wilks spent five seasons as secondary coach in Carolina before being named defensive coordinator there last year. Rodgers was special teams coordinator of the Chicago Bears the past three seasons.

McCoy, 45, was a hot commodity in 2013 and the Cardinals were interested in him as a head coaching candidate at the time before he chose the Chargers and the Cardinals went with Arians. McCoy’s first two San Diego teams went 9-7 but they dipped to 4-12 in 2015. He was fired after San Diego went 5-11 in 2016.

He takes over an offense that has no quarterback. General manager Steve Keim has said he will be aggressive either by free agency, trade or the draft – or any combination of the three – to find a quarterback.

McCoy has experience in several offensive schemes and Wilks, whose coaching background is entirely on the defensive side of the ball, has made it clear he wants a strong running game.

”Someone mentioned a pass-happy league, which I agree it is,” Wilks said at his news conference Tuesday. ”But, I still believe this: You have to have a foundation of running the football. As a defensive coordinator, there’s nothing more demoralizing to a team than being able to run the ball. I mean, you’re talking about taking the air out of an individual. So, that’s going to be our premise. When you look at some of the premier running backs in the National Football League, we have one right here in (David) Johnson.”

Johnson, who led the NFL in yards from scrimmage and touchdowns in 2016, broke a wrist in the 2017 opener and missed the remainder of last season.

In 2011, with McCoy as offensive coordinator, the Broncos led the NFL with a franchise-record 2,362 yards rushing.

McCoy was an assistant at Carolina for nine seasons before going to Denver. He was a quarterback at Long Beach State and Utah. He was on the practice squad at Green Bay and San Francisco and played in NFL Europe and the Canadian Football League before beginning his coaching career.

Holcomb, 47, helped develop one of the NFL’s best linebacking duos in Carolina with Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis.

He inherits what has been a strong defense anchored by All-Pro outside linebacker Chandler Jones, who led the league in sacks, and perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Peterson.

James Bettcher, who served as defensive coordinator for four seasons under Arians after Todd Bowles left for the New York Jets, was hired Friday as defensive coordinator for the New York Giants under new head coach Pat Shurmur.

With Holcomb overseeing the linebacker corps, the Panthers finished third in the NFL in sacks, seventh in overall defense and third in run defense. The Panthers were the only team in the NFL not to allow a player to rush for 100 yards. Under Bettcher last season Morgan Rielly Jersey , Arizona was sixth in overall defense.

Rodgers, 40, has 17 years of coaching experience, 14 with special teams in the NFL. Special teams have often been a problem for the Cardinals in the Arians years.

MINNEAPOLIS — Shin-Soo Choo will try to reach base for a 36th consecutive game Saturday when the Texas Rangers continue their three-game series with the Minnesota Twins at Target Field.

The 35-year-old Rangers outfielder extended his streak to 35 games Friday night with a two-run homer against Fernando Romero.

His streak is the second longest in baseball this season, trailing only Philadelphia’s Odubel Herrera, who reached in 40 straight games. It’s the longest by a Rangers player since Mark Teixeira made it on base in 36 straight games in 2006.

Julio Franco holds the franchise record for a season with 46 straight games and Will Clark reached in 58 straight games at the end of the 1995 and start of 1996 seasons.

“I signed here to get on base, that’s why they brought me here,” Choo said. “When I’ve been healthy, I’ve gotten on base.”

Choo has been on a tear the last month, slashing .306/.468/.556 in his last 30 games, leading to his name being mentioned more frequently in trade rumors as the Rangers remain stuck in the American League West cellar despite winning a season-high six straight games after opening their series in Minnesota with an 8-1 victory Friday night.

While he is open to joining a contender for a stretch run, he knows the $50 million-plus owed to him through the 2020 season could make that difficult.

“Probably (my) contract is still (an obstacle),” Choo admitted earlier this week. “It’s probably not easy. I’m not 28 or 30 anymore.”

The Rangers turn to Yovani Gallardo (0-0, 15.95 ERA) to keep their streak going Saturday. It will be the second start of the season for Gallardo, who was cut by Milwaukee at the end of spring training, then allowed eight runs in 2 1/3 innings of relief before he was cut by Cincinnati and eventually signed a minor league deal with the Rangers.

Gallardo posted a 3.81 ERA in 10 starts for Triple-A Round Rock and was called up to face Colorado last Sunday. He allowed five runs and six hits while striking out four in a no-decision.

“I thought Yo threw the ball well,” Rangers manager Jeff Banister said. “It was similar to what we’ve seen in the past from Yo. He gave up a couple of soft hits, the walks are something not typical of Yo, but he managed the game and was able to give us some length.”

Gallardo is 4-2 with a 3.49 ERA in 11 career starts against Minnesota.

Jake Odorizzi (3-4, 3.48 ERA) starts Saturday for the Twins, who are looking to get back on track after losing two straight and scoring just three runs in those games combined.

Odorizzi is looking for a bounce-back outing himself after the Indians tagged him for four runs in five innings his last time out on Sunday.

He is 4-0 with 2.02 ERA in six career starts against the Rangers.

The Twins should get a bit of a boost Saturday as third baseman Eduardo Escobar is expected to return to the lineup. He sat out the series opener Friday after taking a pitch to an elbow a day earlier against the Boston Red Sox.

“I think probably a tad better than I expected,” Twins manager Paul Molitor said. “He’s sore and there’s some limitation because there’s still a lot of swelling there that impedes his ability probably to throw accurately, as well as take his normal swing. But I’m fairly optimistic that in another, roughly, a little less than 24 hours, that he might be able to start a game tomorrow.”

Inhalte des Mitglieds hong wei
Helpless Member
Seite 1 von 4 « Seite 1 2 3 4 Seite »
Xobor Ein Kostenloses Forum von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen